A small forging job of discovery.

Fred Rowe

The last feather pattern billet I made, I ended up with a crushed "W's" section of the billet that didn't weld. It was in the final stack and measured 1 1/4" square by 5/16" thick.

I welded a rod on this with the "W's" on top running with the handle. This was the pattern that came out of it. You can see the "W's" in the center of the blade as well as the bars that got forged to the face during the flattening and drawing.

I'll make this again only with a little larger blade. Half the fun in the shop is discovering new things.

DSC01671.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01679.JPG

Last edited:
Great discovery Fred :D almost makes me think of wave patterns left by a boat in water

The bottom two pics show the blade after heat treat, with the finish grind on the bevels.

I bought this fossilized walrus roll off of Dan Gray for part of the handle.

fi3m.jpg

So Fred.. Is that ground out of one piece ?
Yes it is; the blade was forged pretty close to shape using a press with the rest done on my big Fisher anvil. The integral took a bit of file work to get to its finished shape.

Fred

Very nice workmanship.. This is the kind of work that I would love to learn how to do. I picked up a smaller Fisher a couple of monthe ago. I don't have anything to compare it to but I am told they are not as noisy. Be sure to post up the finished piece.

Mark

The handle is finished on my little damascus intragal. I used reconstituted stone, silicon bronze with black G10 spacers; the handle is fossil walrus ivory. Fits in the palm of your hand.

DSC01697.JPG

Last edited:
Back