a pointy seax

GHEzell

This is the other blade I forged for a knife forging demo I did back in August for the local branch of the Alabama Forge Council. This was my first time using aquafortis to stain maple, I like the way it turned out. The blade is forged from a very, very old leaf-spring that some interesting character, though I hesitate to call it shear steel... 9 5/8 inch blade, hard maple handle, 16 3/4 inches overall.
Yyg086.jpg

Yyg084.jpg

Yyg087.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hey George,
I have been really liking the smaller seax's you have been making but let me tell you this bigger one is my favorite so far. Wade

Thanks Wade, it gave me a lot of trouble and I wasn't very happy with it until I finished it, now I think it is one of my best so far...

There was a nasty hammer mark that resulted in the blade being thinner than I'd planned, the fullers didn't turn out like I wanted them to, then it warped badly in the quench and took a bit of work to straighten... all in all she was a pain in the rear... now that it is finished, I have forgiven her for all the trouble she gave me...:cool:

Now I just have to make a sheath for it.

Back