A little sanding Help

Lagrange

I’m not sure you can call this a WIP but it might help someone out and that’s why I’m posting it.

I was inspired to post this after reading through Steve Long's "2013 Knifemaking Progress "thread and thought this might help someone who is starting out and doesnt have a lot of money.

I really wanted something to finish out the inside of the finger grips on the handle of a knife. Hand sanding in these heavily curved areas is difficult and time consuming. I want to get one of those small wheel attachments for my home made KMG type grinder, but I cant afford it. So I did a little thinking and this is what I came up with.
I found a piece of tubing from a drum brake rebuilding kit (if you don’t have parts left over when your done you did it wrong), a 3” ¼-20 countersunk machine screw, and a self locking nut.

IMG_1575.jpg

I took the piece of tubing a counterbored one end.

IMG_1576.jpg

This gives the countersunk screw a kind of centering position in the tubing.

I then cut a slot in the side of the tube with my dremmel and a cutting disk.
You can see the slot in the tubing in the first picture. It aint perfect, but neither is the whole rig.

Cut yourself a 1" wide strip of sand paper off of a sheet to wrap around the tube.
IMG_1567.jpg

Use the slot to tuck one end of your sand paper into to hold it in place and then wrap the paper around the tube.

Put all of these pieces together and put the exposed threaded end into a variable speed drill.....
IMG_1577.jpg

Here she is at work....and doesnt do too bad.
IMG_1578.jpg

Just thought I would share.

Last edited:
That is slick Eric.

I have been rough profiling them on the grinder and platen, then filing to where they felt good with a half round file, then sanding for a while to get the file marks out. It is a pain!

I think this might be the ticket...

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I was starting to think that I was the only one reading my progress thread :biggrin:

That's a great idea Eric. I'm sure many guys using files are gonna make the change. Nice job bro.

Eric
Great idea and easy on the pocket book! I too have been wanting a small wheel attachment, but in the mean time your idea rocks!
Thanks for sharing!

God Bless
Mike

Back