A Gift and Two Prototypes

James Terrio

These are three of my basic models. Figured I'd run 'em up the flagpole and see who salutes. If there's some interest, I'll be making more and offering them up. I can't make a sheath to save my life so I'll be looking for someone to help me with that. What would you all like to see with these? Any changes to the knives you'd like to see?

First up is a hunter/skinner my gal's Dad picked as his favorite from the last batch I got back from HT. She picked out the Ironwood from my secret stash. It's a Thanksgiving surprise, hope he likes it.

Specs: 3 3/4" blade, 4 3/8" handle, minimum ricasso, full convex
Blade: 1/8" full-tang CPM-154, hand-rubbed to 2000 grit
HT: 59Rc with cryo, by Peter's Heat Treating. Thanks Brad!
Handle: Arizona Desert Ironwood, hand-rubbed to 1500 grit
Fittings: 1/8" mosaic pins and epoxy

Comments welcome. This one is NOT for sale :)

Attachments

• SH skinner spine.JPG
    SH skinner spine.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 99
  • SH skinner polish.JPG
    SH skinner polish.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 98
  • SH skinner right.JPG
    SH skinner right.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 127
  • SH skinner edge.JPG
    SH skinner edge.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 95
  • SH skinner left.JPG
    SH skinner left.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
General Purpose Prototype

Here's another full-tang design I've been fooling with for awhile. I think I almost have it right.

Specs: 3 5/8" blade, 4 3/8" handle, minimum ricasso, full convex
Blade: 1/8" CPM-154, hand-rubbed 1500 grit
HT: Rc 59 with cryo by Peter's HT
Handle: black canvas micarta, hand-rubbed 800 grit
Fittings: 1/4" stainless Corby bolts and epoxy

Comments welcome, not for sale. This one will be used hard and often to see if any more changes need to be made.

Attachments

• GP proto spine.JPG
    GP proto spine.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 57
  • GP proto left.JPG
    GP proto left.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 72
  • GP proto right.JPG
    GP proto right.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Bird & Trout/EDC Prototype

This is my version of a B&T. Hope you like it.

Specs: 3" blade, 3 3/4" handle
Blade: 1/8" CPM-154, fully tapered tang, full convex, hand-rubbed 2000 grit
HT: 59Rc with cryo by Peter's HT
Handle: green dyed/stabilized maple burl
Fittings: 1/4 SS Corby bolts and epoxy

Comments welcome, not for sale. I think the next one will have a thong tube where the back Corby is and the Corby a little closer to the middle. Other than that I like it... nice and light, and sharp as the dickens.

Attachments

• BT proto spine.JPG
    BT proto spine.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 108
  • BT proto right.JPG
    BT proto right.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 148
  • BT proto edge.JPG
    BT proto edge.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 100
James, typed a nice message, got up to take the dog outside, and it was gone? Dang it. The below is just my opinion only, others will differ.
Will recreate as best I can. Won't comment on scales or pins, all are variable and can be modified by maker and customer as needed rather easily.
The top one, skinner, I like it alot, unique blade shape and good ergonomics it appears.
The middle one, GP, doesn't strike my fancy. Might be the black scales or perhaps a blade with more point would appeal to me?
The last one, BT, I like. I would like more curve in the handle, some drop at heal, just a tad, not much. Nice knife.
Good work James, I like them. Dozier

I like your design on the three knives. And My comments are about the same as wdtorque's comments that is just my comments so don't take it that I don't like them.
Three great knives.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

And My comments are about the same as wdtorque's comments that is just my comments so don't take it that I don't like them.
Three great knives.

I'm not offended in any way, after all a big part of making custom knives is because not everybody likes the same things. Like wdtorque says, everything you see there can be tweaked or modified to suit the customer. That's part of the fun :)

The reason I posted these three together was to show different blade shapes, handles and handle materials/pins etc. I don't like to get stuck in a rut. Plus they all happened to be ready at the same time :D

Last edited:
James I like both styles the lines are simple: so that is two and three. Very clean look and I would give them a name for easy reference and character. I like large beefy handles too. These are very nice and look wonderful. I like clean simple which equals Beauty. I love the Ironwood and am a freak for wood handles. I have a few secrets and guarantee my wood handles for life, lol. Because I am old. Great Job.......... I love handles with character and am not into synthetics. PS I joined AKTI after looking them over. Just starting as a grassroot mem. right now!!! But that is an organization needed.

Thanks for sharing

Kris

PS I joined AKTI after looking them over. Just starting as a grassroot mem. right now!!! But that is an organization needed.

THANK YOU for joining AKTI! And thank you for your kinds words as well. I have ideas for the other two names, but I'm sure about the ironwood gift knife... from now on that model wil be known as "Steve's Skinner" :)

I gave it to Steve (my GF's dad) Wednesday night and he was so pleased he had me over to his house Thursday mornin to show me some of his extensive Case and Schrade collection. One day I'll get some pictures for y'all to drool over! He even brought the skinner back over to Thanksgiving dinner to show off to the whole family. I was struttin like a rooster to see him so happy with it :D

Nice work, they all have good appearance. I especially like the green dyed/stabilized maple burl . I`m fond of burl wood.

Thank you, Knife Nut. Stabilzed burl/figured woods are my absolute favorite handle material, either dyed or natural color.

James after a second visit I like number one a lot. Very simple and stylish. Because of you I went out and bought about four feet of Ironwood. I did not know that is the one wood that does not float??? I like hard woods so hopefully I will show you a knife with one soon. I do like the 1/4 Corby bolts. I learned em as brake rivets???

Thank you for your kind words Kris! That skinner will be one of my "standard" models from now on. It took a whole bunch of ones that weren't quite right before I got that pattern down :34:

Ironwood is wonderful stuff, very stable and you can polish it up to a real nice finish just the way it is. Corby bolts are awesome too, very secure.

Back