7 inch leaf spring Utility Knife WIP

Justin W.

Alright guys I'm gonna start making a hunting style knife for myself. I keep making knives for everyone else and to be honest on most occasions I find myself carrying a $4 Walmart knife. So this knife blade was gonna be made from 80crv2 but I was talking to Stormcrow and he said that because I lack a digital furnace I would probably get better results out of 5160 with the backyard heat treat I'm doing. I had some leaf spring lying around so I forged it out to the proper thickness (1/4") then cut it out and cleaned it up. As I progress I will continue posting here I expect big things from this blade

Did you come up with that design on your own? Although it is not my style (my tastes usually run to the traditional) I can see a fusion of perhaps traditional and fantasy in this blade. Great to see you strech your artistic muscles. That blade should get people to asking you where you got it from and that is a good thing. Every knife I have ever made was a simple HT knife (in a forge) and I have found that I get “best” results with the 10 series steels empasis on 1080 and1084. I do get very good results with 5160 as well. Listen to whatever Stormcrow will tell you I am a big fan of his work too.

Last edited:
Yes James is a fantastic maker and just reading his testimonials inspires me to make the best knife that I can make for my customers he suggested that if I don't go with 5160 to go with 1084 I just had the leaf spring on hand. As far as the design its actual a combination of the last two or three hunting knives that I designed the hardest part was getting a handle that I liked

In the area I have marked there appears to be an angular transition between the straight length of the blade and the tip. For a hunting knife, and skinning in particular, a belly or rounded transition from straight length and continuing to the tip is more traditional simply because it has proved its worth for flaying the hide off an animal. If you have you blank still at a 1/4 inch thick you can still alter this area if you decide toknife.png

Von you have a keen eye i said hunting knife when in reality this will be more so a utility/EDC blade for myself. Sorry should have thought that through i change the title. I want to make some hunting knives in this style so for those ones i wont have such an angle. THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK:D

Back