60 min video for new/newer maker. Putting scales on a full tang with Corbys or pins

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
This video is for the new or newer knife maker.

We show how to attach micarta scales onto a full tang knife handle. We use a couple pins and a couple Corby bolts to show how to use either pins or Corby's. We attach the scales onto one of our hardened pre-ground blade blanks but the process is the same for any full tang blades.

If you have never made a knife and want to get into the hobby, this is an easy way to get started.

[video=youtube_share;u1PXJAIZvcM]http://youtu.be/u1PXJAIZvcM[/video]

You will also get a peek at the new to marker Ubergrinder designed by Brian Fellhoelter. Our first batch sold out before we even got them listed. The second batch is in production now.

I'm loving the new series from Midwest knife supply Bossdog. Anyone thinking about starting out knifemaking can get some real solid advice before they make all the discouraging mistakes.

The most important question, when is the tutorial on "Convincing your spouse you need to spend more on knifemaking stuff" coming out?

Thanks Brad. We have plans for a lot more.

Recently we added Nate to the staff here. I brought him on board specifically to help us create tutorial and product informative videos. Nate had professional experience in video production. I have attempted to learn it over the last few years so I know just enough to stir Nate's creative juices. He really is quite good at it. We are both learning our roles as we do this. Look for improved production quality and content as we move forward. My plan is to have at least a hundred hours in video by the end of year.

Funny thing about editing and producing video at a semi professional level, it takes 5 to 10 times longer in post editing than finished content so for every hour of finished video, there is 5 to 10 hours of editing. In other words if we produce an hour video, it takes 10 hours to get through editing. Production shooting is taking 3 to 5 times finished video length as we deal with "do overs" and work on getting camera angles just right. In short it is taking us around 20 hours to produce a 1 hour video. This will get better with time but best case will be half that. Next week we take a crack at green screen, just like the weather man uses.

Boss, Great job on this. Nate seems to be a valuable asset. Send him this way if he has any free time after shooting and editing your stuff. I would love to do a couple videos. :)

Great idea on the videos they look professional. Are you going to do a knife from scratch at some point?

Boss, Great job on this. Nate seems to be a valuable asset. Send him this way if he has any free time after shooting and editing your stuff. I would love to do a couple videos.

Having Randy do something of forging to go with a stock removal video would be great.

Great idea on the videos they look professional. Are you going to do a knife from scratch at some point?

Having Randy do something of forging to go with a stock removal video would be great.

Yes.

I will be arranging for full length (what ever that is) tutorial knife builds by accomplished makers. I have visited with a few makers and they are on board. I will visit with more over time. I am starting with close in guys first just for the logistics side of it.

We have to get better on our end first. We are getting closer.

Back