52100 or 1095

Jason Wilder

I am wanting to do a run of several kitchen knives. Not that I have any particular fondness of them, but it is one way to make a knife without feeling compaled to make a blasted sheath.

Aldo has both 52100 and 1095 ground to .110/.120 in stock and I'm on the fence as to which to get.

I know that 52100 is on high demand right now but also know that 1095 has been a go to steel for kitchen knives for decades.

52100 may be a bit more corrosion resistant, but 1095 can produce a hamon

Both require exact temps to HT but there seems to be less steps involved with 1095

Is there anything I'm missing?
Thanks,
Jason

One facotor that could easily be the deciding factor is what quench meduim you've got available.

If you've got fast oil like Parks 50 take your pick.

If your using a meduim oil then I'd stick with the 52100.

I'm sure both steels will make an excellent kitchen knife if treated right though.

Thats my take

-Josh

Josh, I can tell you from personal experience that you do NOT want to use Parks #50 on thin sections of deep hardening steel like a kitchen knife. :what!:
One facotor that could easily be the deciding factor is what quench meduim you've got available.

If you've got fast oil like Parks 50 take your pick.

If your using a meduim oil then I'd stick with the 52100.

I'm sure both steels will make an excellent kitchen knife if treated right though.

Thats my take

-Josh

Joe-

How thin are we talking ? I've treated a bunch of 5160 choppers in Parks without any trouble but nothing I would consider "thin"

I've been leaving probably at least .050 at the edge for HT and finish grinding after.

-You and Mike ever get that hammer running ?

-Josh

I think the preferred oil is a medium speed oil, but I have heard of more than a few makers using P-50 and having good results. I just read yesterday (I think it was Ed Fowler) who uses unheated P50.

Either way, if it is too fast I could try Canola oil.

j you can get a hamon with 52100. I just did one with the military build knife we are doing with 52100 and i was using room temp dt-48 and steel was held at 1500 for 10 min. its hard to see becuz i wanted a dark blade but here is a pic. But i love 1095 so dont think you could go wrong...............

Attachments

• 100_3360.jpg
    100_3360.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_3357.jpg
    100_3357.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 22
Back