3 in progress

AJH_Knives

well, it has been awhile since I have posted here. Heck it has been awhile since I had time to play out in the garage. Here are 3 that i have started. the bottom one in 7.75 inches, the middle is right at 6 and the top is 5.75 inches. All are O-1 3/32 thick. I am figuring out that my grinder kind of sucks. i am going to have to rig up something for better belt tension. still not bad for my old cal hawk 1x42 belt sander... what do you think?
Aaron

3-new.jpg

Basically, they look good. I would, however, work the bevels higher for a better angle on the primary grind. Just slowly decrease the angle that you hold the blade to on the grinder and work the bevels back. I think that you will fine that they will have a better geometry for cutting.

Doug

Doug,
just went back out to the garage and did that.. i'll get some pictures up here soon. Is there a rule of thumb on how tall the grind should be? I noticed as i was grinding them my blade edge got really thin almost too thin..

Doug,
just went back out to the garage and did that.. i'll get some pictures up here soon. Is there a rule of thumb on how tall the grind should be? I noticed as i was grinding them my blade edge got really thin almost too thin..

You will find the sweet spot for the height of the grind to the thickness of the steel to what you are making them for in time? That is the discovery part of knife making.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back