3 diffrent knives from the same template

J.Leclair

Here's my next 3 knives ground ready for Pin holes and pre HT hand sanding to fix a couple small wobbles in the grind lines. I wanted to try to make 3 knives from the same template but do each one a bit different from the next.
10inchhunters.jpg

All are 10" OAL with 5" Blades
Top one is an almost full height hollow grind from 1/8" 440c
Middle one is about a 2/3 height hollow grind from 1/8" 440c added a swedge to this one.
Bottom one is also a 2/3 height hollow grind this one is from 3/16" 440c this one also has a swedge but gave this one a subtle recurve.

I want to try bolsters for the frist time on one of them, most likely the first one. I have some 1" x 3/4" nickle silver bar stock with pins of the same
comments or critiques welcomed and encouraged.

All 3 look great, can't wait to see the top one sporting some bolsters. Funny how a knife can be changed so dramatically simply by different grinds, bolsters, scale choice.

thanks camojoe. the bolsters frankly have me a bit nervous. It's a pretty nice blade so far, I'd hate to bung it up trying. I guess I have been very lucky thus far, I started making knives in 2009 and have only had to throw away 2 that were un-repairable. I have had my share of unintended design changes, but only the 2 were not salvageable in any way.

Looks good, i bet the finished knives will be nice

Bolsters the first time had me terrified but trust me once you do it you realize they arent very tough and not deserving the stress. I screwed up several sets before i got some help on here and the light came on in my head and it all made sense.

thanks camojoe. the bolsters frankly have me a bit nervous. It's a pretty nice blade so far, I'd hate to bung it up trying. I guess I have been very lucky thus far, I started making knives in 2009 and have only had to throw away 2 that were un-repairable. I have had my share of unintended design changes, but only the 2 were not salvageable in any way.

You have only had to pitch two knives in 2 1/2 years?
You haven't made enough Knives Yet!!:biggrin: LOL.

I like the pattern. Did you use a 8" or a 10" wheel? My guess is a 10" But it's hard to tell from the pics.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back