2 Grinders?

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
Is there a need to have 2 grinders in your shop? I have a no weld set up and a KMG. Just wondering if I should keep the no weld or sell it. I also think I could keep the no weld and use it for a different set up with different tooling.

If I kept it I would need a a new motor, but thats not a big deal.

Thoughts?

I have 2, and could probably get by with 1 but why? Saves setup and changeover time, and gives you a back up machine if you're ever stuck waiting for parts on one. Plus mine are both single speed, so it helps to have one set up faster for hogging and another running slower for post-HT grinding and sharpening.

Hey Justin,
That makes sense. I am going to take the motor in this pic and the controller and use it with the KMG. The no weld has a stepped pulley so I was thinking maybe I do like you said and just set up for hogging or whatever with a single speed motor?

L001.jpg

Hey Larry, I have a welded NWG from Wayne Coe that has a 4 step pulley on it. I think having one of yours set to hog is a great idea. When I put mine in 4th gear it is scary fast. I only use that speed to run off nosy relatives and talkaholics.

I like having two. I have one set up for flat grinding and one for hollow where I usually use a 10" wheel. It's very convenient this way. Frank

I have two drill presses and I like having them set-up differently. My plan when I upgrade to a better grinder is to keep the one I have for rough work or a backup.

Wait, never mind that... you should just give me the NWG :D

There probably isn't a 'real need' for it, but it's nice.
Like Frank, I have my Bader II set up for just flat grinds because even though I have the wheels and dodads for it, their round pin system tooling arms can be aggravating. My home-made is set up just for hollow grinds . The Grizzly and 1 x 42 also have a place in the shop, mostly for wood working.

When I was a young guy....an old timer told me " Never sell your fishing equipment or tools". I never forgot that and now I'm glad I listened. You may never be able to replace what you had.

Rudy

Many use grinder for different things. The second grinder is an old square wheel that I use for profiling and initital ginding. The closest is a Jerry Braggs grinder from California that I use to help finish grind because of its slow speed. The far grinder which looks like it has brown wheels is one Rick Menefee made with plywood and is now my major grinder. It is an 18 inch wheel and after slowing it down somewhat makes a very nice grind.

Attachments

• miller grinders.jpg
    miller grinders.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 71
I have 3 of my four grinders set up - only because the shop is too small. That's why we're moving. Three more sleeps! :biggrin:

I have two KMGs, a KMG horizontal and a disk. I would buy more if I had room -- less time changing tool arms means less time wasted.

Back