154cm and mammoth ivory

Jim Coffee

Been a VERY busy year so far at work and haven't been getting much time to build knifes but I finally Finished this one for a customers order this weekend

my econoline model
154cm stainless
bark mammoth ivory
416 pinned on and dovetailed bolsters
black fiber liners

all comments welcome
jcoffeecustomknives.com

Attachments

• mark peters mammoth knife finished 005.jpg
    mark peters mammoth knife finished 005.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 55
  • mark peters mammoth knife finished 015.jpg
    mark peters mammoth knife finished 015.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
  • mark peters mammoth knife finished 019.jpg
    mark peters mammoth knife finished 019.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
  • mark peters mammoth knife finished 020.jpg
    mark peters mammoth knife finished 020.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 49
  • mark peters mammoth knife finished 022.jpg
    mark peters mammoth knife finished 022.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
Beautiful !!!

I love mammoth ivory, im about to have my first try with it and i cant wait, i hope mine turns out half as nice as yours!

great job

I love it Jim. I think you did a great job! I have never worked with mamoth ivory, but I might try it soon.

Since mammoth ivory is in the beginning stages of fossilization does it expand and contract in humidity ?? i would have thought it would be pretty stable since it is mineralized (sp?)

steve

It will move some, but not much. I always tell a customer to mineral oil it often. When done that way mine never have a problem, and I have made quite a few with ivory of all kinds. That being said, nice job Jim! Truck driving is holding you back!!
GOD BLESS!!
Michael

Mike is correct. All the mammoth I use is either professionally stabilized or lightly oiled.
Belly Hooks reply makes me ask, what about the millions of knives made with dovetailed bolsters and wood scales. Some stabilized, some not?
If your scales are shrinking so badly that the dovetail edge becomes a problem, you are doing something very wrong.

Steve

What a beautiful hunter Jim.

The ivory is unique because you retained much of the texture to show off its natural beauty but I dont see it moving around very much. I remember Bo Randall told customers that "with ivory its possible to get some shrinkage or expansion but not to be concerned and if they would send the knife back to him at any later date he would be happy to adjust the two surfaces"

I have had more trouble with stabilized woods than with ivory. One of my master smith test knives has ebony on it and before a year was up it had sharp edges on the guard area. Its a fact of life that natural materials change size with time and humidity. The only answer Ive found is to leave the handle material about .010" over sized and keep your fingers crossed.

You sure have a gorgeous polish on this knife.

Nice work, somebody is going to be thrilled.

I do the swedge grind on one knife only, two sizes but one model. It will go through many a sharpening before getting 'too thick'.

Last edited:
The only way you can stop shrinkage , is keep the knife till winter and when the house is dry and the handle mt'l has shrink grind the metal down and in the summer the handle mat'l will be out past the metal. But then you have to keep every knife till winter ,ha ha ha ha .

Back