11 1/2" Kitchen Short Sword!

rhinoknives

Hello Knife Dogs & Doggette's.

This is a newer model of mine that's 17 1/2" OAL with a Distal tapered 11 1/2" Blade, 3" at the heel 1/8" thick 440C Stainless with a 6 1/2" long tang & handle of Mark Farley's Stabilized Oak Bunion.
It features my pinch grip butterfly pattern and red & Black liners, Bob Loveless bolts and my Rhino Head center pin.. It weights in at 14.8 Oz.

it hard to grasp the size of this one without a ruler along the edge. I call this series the Italian Job. It has a 8 1/2" bladed baby brother.

I am taking orders on these if anyone is interested? Please P.M. me.

Thanks for looking and questions and comments are welcome!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.comDSCN1161.jpg

Nice one Laurence !

Just curious where the balance point is on this Italian Job ?

-Josh

On this 11 1/2" short sword the balance point is at the first hole in my pinch grip pattern. about 3/4" of a inch in from the handle.

I made dinner with it last night and it worked like a charm on Onions, Tomatoes, Carrots, Cauliflower etc & the 3LB Pork Loin I roasted. Also did great mincing of the Cilantro, Garlic
& Spices I chopped up for seasoning. For Holiday and large gathering meals this is a perfect knife.

On the 8 1/2 the balance point comes out at the index finger notch.

Glad you guys like it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
It's beautiful, Laurence. And it must be comforting to have the Italian Job in the event that a barbarian horde attacks while you're prepping dinner!!

I like the way you positioned the handle wood with rays location.
Lots of attention to detail and design, thumbs up.

Shawn,
Yep! We've been watching Spartacus lately and those pesty Germanic hordes always seem to show up at dinner time! Besides, You can you kill it and grill it with the same sword!

Mark,
This was a fun block of Oak to work with and I am really happy with how the rays radiate from the center of the handle.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Any chance of pics to show the distal taper, and heel shot to show the grind?

Hello TB,
I tried to get a decent shot of the distal tapering but it just isn't coming out well.
The tapering starts at about the middle of the spine at 1/8" and tapers down to a tad under a 1/16" at the tip. The grind is a full Flat 50/50 that has a convexed Micro bevel that is about 1/8" tall.

Thanks for your questions and I welcome anymore?

If its not sold by next weekend I was thinking of making my special BBQed Veggies with Olive oil. To accompany a few big fillets of Chilean Sea Bass that are seasoned and wrapped tightly in foil and I let the fire get nice and smoky to flavor all the fish and vegetation

My Veggies are BBQ-ed whole red onions, Parsnips in foil with Olive Oil, Then thick slices of Eggplant, Potatoes, Mushrooms etc...

A feast for all! That's one of the things I love about making culinary knives!
Trying them out in my Kitchen and back yard BBG's

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Nice one Laurance!
That 2 finger forward grip looks like it would be comfy to use also.
That wood is stunning!

God Bless
Mike

Hello Mike,
I have been Experimenting with that two finger grip on the bottom of the handle and the thumb on the top for over 15 years now and it's going strong!

Thanks for the kind words.

Laurence

www,rhinoknives.com

Back