10" wheel for profiling?

kbog

Well I read that many knife makers use a wheel for profiling their blades. I tried it today on a 10" wheel. Aside from saving my platen and having an easier time on curves, I cannot say that I thought using the wheel was better at all. It was slower, heated up the steel faster and, of course, it left the spine at an angle that required more time to square up.

What am I missing?

If the table is centered on the wheel, then basically a 1/4" blade thickness is being ground against a perpendicular surface. There are serrated wheels that are supposed to be better for material removal so that might work out better. Grinding on the platen is harsh on the belt and platen. In the end, just use what works for you.

How do you know it generated more heat? Guessing temp by the hands or IR temp gun.?

Thanks. Temp by hands mostly, so very unscientific. I felt as though I needed more pressure and things heated up faster on the wheel than platen is all. My wheel is not serrated so that may be an issue.

I find heat is mostly a factor of the condition of the belt. I use my ceramic belts for about 50-60% of their grit for bevel grinding and then to profiling work till i say they are done..

If you have a decent amount of grit on the belt a contact wheel works a little faster than against a steel platen for profiling and doing curves.

Back