Introduction, Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Dealer - Purveyor
Hello, my name is Mark Knapp, I have been a knife maker and handle material supplier for 17 years. I went to full time knife making about eight years ago and am currently an ABS Journeyman Smith. I live in Alaska where I guide big game hunters and fisherman. From time to time I will post some things like mammoth ivory, fossil walrus ivory, musk ox horn and oosik in the "Supplies For Sale" sub-forum.

Some us us have already met but I hope to get to know more of you.

Mark

Welcome Mark, I look forward to getting to know you here and see some of your work. And some of that ivory.

Mark, you're just the guy I need to talk to. I haven't been able to find any direct answers on the web (maybe I'm not searching correctly). I had the idea to make some handles from bone such as whale bone. Is that legal? Is is something you offer?

I'll definitely check out your site. I would like to expand my repertoire some with more exotic materials.

Mark, you're just the guy I need to talk to. I haven't been able to find any direct answers on the web (maybe I'm not searching correctly). I had the idea to make some handles from bone such as whale bone. Is that legal? Is is something you offer?

I'll definitely check out your site. I would like to expand my repertoire some with more exotic materials.

It is legal to use whale bone for knife handles but there are several stipulations. The whale needs to have died before the Marine Mammal Act of 1972, or it has to be what we call ancient bone. Also interstate sale of whale parts is not legal, so if you buy whale bone for a knife handle you have to buy it from within your state and anything you make from whale bone cannot be sold across state lines. For instance, you can't offer it for sale on the internet and send it to another state. A customer visiting from another state can buy it from you in Florida and bring it home.

Other materials like fossil walrus ivory have other laws, they can be sold across state lines but any walrus parts (ivory, oosik and bone) sold have to predate the MMA of '72.

Happy to answer any questions.

It is legal to use whale bone for knife handles but there are several stipulations. The whale needs to have died before the Marine Mammal Act of 1972, or it has to be what we call ancient bone. Also interstate sale of whale parts is not legal, so if you buy whale bone for a knife handle you have to buy it from within your state and anything you make from whale bone cannot be sold across state lines. For instance, you can't offer it for sale on the internet and send it to another state. A customer visiting from another state can buy it from you in Florida and bring it home.

Other materials like fossil walrus ivory have other laws, they can be sold across state lines but any walrus parts (ivory, oosik and bone) sold have to predate the MMA of '72.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you so much for the reply. Well, I guess whale bone is off the list. I figured dead whales wash up on the beach and could be harvested. Guess not.

Thank you so much for the reply. Well, I guess whale bone is off the list. I figured dead whales wash up on the beach and could be harvested. Guess not.

If a whale washes up on the beach, you are allowed to "Beach comb" his bones. Then you are supposed to have the bones sealed by the NOAA. They are supposed to remain what they are forever. You can't make knives out of them. For those of you in walrus country, walrus regs are the same but the sealing is done by USF&W.

Welcome Mark. Have looked at your website before and you do some beautiful work. No doubt at some time in the near future will be contacting you for some of that great ivory you have,

Craig
(former & times I wished I still was Eagle River AK resident)

Welcome Mark. Have looked at your website before and you do some beautiful work. No doubt at some time in the near future will be contacting you for some of that great ivory you have,

Craig
(former & times I wished I still was Eagle River AK resident)

Thanks Craig

Welcome Mark Knapp! You won't know me but we have frequented some of the same forums and I have been following your impressive knife making for a while now! To me you name is synonymous with Alaska! Your knowledge of knife making and materials, will be much appreciated on this forum! I have seen some of the materials you have available at times and it is the kind of materials that are top notch!! Welcome!

Welcome Mark Knapp! You won't know me but we have frequented some of the same forums and I have been following your impressive knife making for a while now! To me you name is synonymous with Alaska! Your knowledge of knife making and materials, will be much appreciated on this forum! I have seen some of the materials you have available at times and it is the kind of materials that are top notch!! Welcome!

Thanks C, Pleased to meet you. Thanks for the really nice comments.

Back