If you use a Disc Grinder...You need this!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
For about that last month or so, I've been testing a new system for disc grinders. It consists of a "hub" that attaches to a 5/8" motor shaft, and it has interchangeable "face plates".

This is about the best tool that I've seen come down the pike in a long time! It allows you to change "discs" on your Disc Grinder in a matter of seconds, saves a ton of time, as well as keeps you from having to waste sandpaper every time you want/need to change grits.

There's far too much information about it to include in a forum thread, so I built a quick web page. You can see it here:

Disc Grinder with Interchangeable Face Plates

I don't give recommendations for tools often, or lightly. This thing has saved me a ton of time and kept me from wasting lots of sandpaper! I'm not getting anything out of this, just wanted to share a great time and money saving tool with everyone.

The gentleman who invented/produces this system (Rod Nielsen) has worked really hard to ensure that everything about it is right, and I think he's done a great job. For what you get it's reasonably priced too!

I'm not sure I understand how this thing helps to save sandpaper. I built my own disk sander, so this wouldn't fit on mine anyways though. My sandpaper sheets aren't all the way used when I take them off, and I keep them to the side and reapply them later if needed.

Mike J.: Many times when you have to change paper on a disc that isn't used up, you either tear it getting it off, or never get it back on exactly as it was before. With this setup and a couple of extra disc "face plates" you don't waste time changing, gluing, and trimming paper...you just change a disc face plate that has paper already on it. Very quick and efficient.

If your motor has a 5/8" shaft (which most grinder sized motors do) the hub will fit on your motor. The disc "face plates" are interchangeable, and are held on by magnets. To change them you simply pop on disc face plate off, and put another in it's place...takes about 5 seconds.

Since I've been using it, my sandpaper consumption has gone down, and I spend a LOT less time fiddling around with sandpaper, and more time doing actual work. I think it's a brilliant idea, and Rod Neilsen has taken the time/effort to make sure it was built right.

Ed, thanks for the clarification about the sandpaper usage. My disk is from a treadmill motor, and the shaft is threaded, and a weird size, so I just use the flywheel to hold plywood for a disk. I'm sure it's a great idea, just I don't have a motor that it would work with.

Good question Ernie! REALLY WELL is the answer I would give. I generally don't run my disc grinder much past 30% on the speed controller, but while testing this setup, I had the same thought, and did a lot of testing with it running at 100%.

The raised area on the "hub" keeps the disc plate from shifting/sliding, and as I mentioned on the web page...those magnets are STRONG. If you get your finger between the hub and the disc plate when your putting a disk on....it WILL HURT! (yep, I learned the hard way!) :)

Well Then I would have to say....."We have a winner"

Thats a great design. I will someday own one!

Thanks for doing the review and posting.

Now why didn't I think of that?:) That is a great gizmo and a must have if I get to making a lot of knives.

Thanks for the review Ed

Larry

Nice!! The magnets wouldn't be effected by the centrifugal force as far as it flying off. Just so they are strong enough to keep the outer disc from spinning on the hub.

I'm going to have to work towards getting that set up.

Back