Second Forged Blade

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I've been really wanting to getinto the shop since returning from BLADE, but it has just been to dang hot. So, I got smart and decided to hit the shop early this morning. Around midnight I went to Wal Mart to pick up a cheap box fan and some air filters to rig up a box fan air cleaner then hit the shop around 0130.

Using my two brick forge, I pounded a new blade (my third forges blade) and then put it to the side to cool down. I had my second forges blade that I had hammered out a couple of months ago prior to my trip over to Ft. Polk. It is the same blade design as the one I hammered out last night, so I got to work on it. I really need to pick up a set of tongs so that I can forge out the tang as well.

Here are a few pics of me in the shop last night. Please excuse the poor quality, I forgot my camera at the apartment and had to use my phone.

My two brick forge I built a couple of months ago. I have a new forge I picked up in Atlanta, but I still need a couple of fittings for it before I can get it running.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are a couple of pics of the rough ground blade.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 223
Looking good Murph. Wanted to talk with you at blade but every time I came by you guys were slammed.

Looking good, Bud.
Now you see why I get up @ 2 or3 every morning.
I forged out a machete from that 1084 that you gave me
osage scales, looks pretty good-works even better.
later, Jerry

Now I gotta get me some quench oil so I can HT this thing. I think I'll give Kelly a call tomorrow evening and get me a bucket of Parks heading my way.

Murph it really looks good. It is a design that really appeals to me. Nice handle and very nice drop point blade. you did a great job.

Thanks Mike. It was all free hand so to say. I normally sketch fro days and then make a template before starting a stock removal blade. This one I just started hammering and then ground the handle shape by eye. I did the last two I forged out of 1/8" stock because I'm working with a two brick forge.

I just finished putting together my new forge this afternoon. I had to go all over the place to get all of the fittings I needed to plumb it. Hopefully it'll fire up when I test it later. If so, my next one will be out of 1/4" Aldo's 1084, 5160, or 3/8" 1095.

Nice looking design Murph, I like it. You're going to enjoy the new forge. There's nothing like hammering hot steel and creating a piece, what ever it may be.

Larry

I just got my Coote Belt Grinder set up. It has a 10" wheel and flat platen and I am driving it with a 1hp motor. I am still going through the learning curve on grinding on it. Up till now I was hand filing everything.

Looks great Murph , I like the way it looks , like it will be comfortable in the hand.
Not sure where you went to school , but that forge has more than 2 bricks in it.....lol
Just poking at ya.
Good job , I want to do some forging someday.

I've been really wanting to getinto the shop since returning from BLADE, but it has just been to dang hot.

Looks good Murph,but I can't figure where you are at,that it would be hot.:D
I don't get into the shop unless it's dark,and all I do is stock removal.

Keep it up brother.

God bless,Keith

good work man. be careful once you start messing with the dragon it gets reale addicitive. keep up the good work. Gary

Back