Heat Treating ATS 34 and similar steels

Travis Fry

I've been using 1080 for all of my knives so far (65), but I just ground my first from ATS 34. I have a kiln with good temp control so I know I can do it properly, but I've been searching for how to heat treat this steel and have found several different recipes. They are pretty consistent up until the temper cycle. I know that after an oil quench cryo is recommended to make sure that there is as much martensite as possible, but people vary widely on their recommendations for the temper cycle. Anyone have any knowledge that can help?

ATS34 and 154CM are pretty much the same steel with the same heat treatment regimen. Here is a link to a data sheet for 154CM

http://www.rangeroriginal.com/CPM154.pdf

Pick the rockwell hardness you seek for your application then consult the data sheet for the recipe. Cryo is nice, but if you aren't set up for it, its not a must have type of thing. The data sheet lists results with and without cryo.

Travis
I austinize at 1930 for 40 min,then plate quench,then into cryo 6 hours then temper twice at 400 deg and get 59-60 Rc.
Stan

I do the typical 1925-40 for plate-quench. I have tried both the lower temper and the high temper and from my experience, the 950 deg temper makes a better blade- holds an edge better and also seems to finish easier. I would have to look at my notes to tell you exactly how long but I think it is 2 hours.

Back