Hello from AL

J S Machine

Hey folks, my name is John..glad to be here. I was refered to this forum by a knife maker named Steve Davis. I stopped by the Blade show the other day in Atlanta and he was nice enough to take me around and introduce me to some guys. I signed up today and this is my first post. hello there

I am a toolmaker by trade and I have recently tried my hand at a few knives. I don't really have a whole lot of time to do anything but when I do I try to do the best I can.

Here is the second knife that I have done. I started with a folder, and then did this fixed blade. I'll see if I can find some pictures of the folder and post them later.

fb1.jpg

fb2.jpg

fb3.jpg

fb4.jpg

fb5.jpg

fb6.jpg

Specs are -

Blade: D2 heat treated to around 55-56 Rc, -was really looking for around 60 Rc, but this will fly because it probably won't see much use.
Handles (scales) - Eucalyptus wood from Australia, stabilized.
Pins - Mosaic brass / stainless with a brass lanyard hole.

I did everything, except for the mosaic pins. I could have made them but I figured I would avoid the headache and just buy a premade one and cut what I needed for this knife. The blade is about .135" thick (a little more than 1/8"). The entire knife is about 7" long with a blade length of about 3". When I laid this thing out on paper, it seemed a little bigger than it actually is in real life. I designed this one without a guard, but I'd like to do one with a guard eventually. I have also got to get me some sort of name or something to stamp in my knives. None I have made so far have anything. Now I just wish I had the skills and tools to make a sheath..

I'm tellin you, I have all the respect in the world for the people who make these things by the truckload and sell them. To do this right and make one look good, it requires a great deal of time, effort, and patience.

hey john ! i am a custom maker in moody alabama my shop is in bham . if i can help you let me know.good to meet another maker from alabana.
alex

Here is the folder about half way done

8.jpg

12.jpg

And finished-

22.jpg

25.jpg

Blade is Crucible "cruwear" about 59 Rc, handles are aluminum machined in a manual mill (would have been much easier with a cnc lol) and anodized satin black, pivot pin and thumb studs are 300 series stainless, liners and pocket clip are 400 series stainless heat treated to retain spring tension. Only thing I didn't make were the screws. Handle inserts are the same eucalyptus used in the fixed blade above, and have since been replaced with real carbon fiber inserts.

2thumbs

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm in wetumpka, about 20 miles north of Montgomery. I'm going to fill out my profile now 2thumbs

Welcome to the pack John. It's good to have you here with us. You are one of MANY I remember stopping by the booth. I hope you find our little community here to be as much fun as many of the rest of us. Those are some very nice pieces and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Welcome John, nice first too. I really like that fixed blade. Really looks well crafted and the handle is "different" which is apealing to me. Nice scales, blade, and file work, great looking. BTW, you've got a good number of excellent makers in Bama. Dozier

hello there Welcome to the pound, John.

Looks like you have a good start on making knives. Great work, looking forward to seeing more.

Larry

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm in wetumpka, about 20 miles north of Montgomery. I'm going to fill out my profile now 2thumbs

Give out a shout sometimes and ride on up to Oxford. We can spend the day talking knives and maybe pound some steel or grind something.

Robert

Howdy, John. Good looking knives you made. Looks like you sure know what you are doing. Denny

Actually I don't really know lol. I'm just learning as I go.

My grandparents live in Somerset. They live in a neighborhood, the name of their street is Kendra's way. Maybe you know where that is..

Give out a shout sometimes and ride on up to Oxford. We can spend the day talking knives and maybe pound some steel or grind something.

Robert

I think I actually spoke with you one time before about stopping by. You are the only maker in AL that I know of.

John, I met you at Steve's table. Nice to meet you and will be expecting to see you at the Alabama Conferences. I will have a Knife Dogs Canopy so be sure and stop and visit, pull up a chair and have a refreshing beverage.

John, I met you at Steve's table. Nice to meet you and will be expecting to see you at the Alabama Conferences. I will have a Knife Dogs Canopy so be sure and stop and visit, pull up a chair and have a refreshing beverage.

Yes, I remember you from the picture you have there in your avatar. Sorry I couldn't stay longer and get to know people a little better. I guess i'm gonna need some info on these AL confernces so i can try and make it to a few of them.

Back