First completed blades

whiteeugene

Here are the first 4 knifes that I thought were worth finishing after grinding.

I heat treated these in my forge a few weekends back they are all 1095, for the finish I sandblasted them smoothed them over with steel wool and then did a mustard finish.

Thanks for looking.

I still have a long way to go but I think its like everything else practice practice practice practice!

Bird & Trout with G11 scales
img_3641.jpg

EDC with G11 scales

img_3645.jpg

img_3647.jpg

EDC with green canvas micarta sand blasted bevel re-ground

img_3648.jpg

img_3649.jpg

EDC with green canvas micarta sand blasted
img_3651.jpg

img_3652.jpg

Last edited:
Doug, Those look a lot better than my first.You are right,
it does take practice,practice,and more practice.
Looks like you are well on your way.
Keep it up brother.2thumbs

God bless,Keith

Not bad, Doug, you're on your way. I ruined a lot of steel before I got something that good.

Larry

Not bad, Doug, you're on your way. I ruined a lot of steel before I got something that good.

Larry

I will second Larry's comment! I still sometimes find designs changing as I grind.....LOL

Its all part of it.

For starting out you show great promise. They look great for your first run of blades.

Looking forward to seeing more and most of all, Keep it up!!!!

Chris

Field trials

Well I passed these blades out to my fishing partners this last weekend it is out annual trip into Salmon Lake here are some shots of them being used. The only complaint I receive was one guy said it was two sharp to skin fish with. I checked them out at the end of the three days and they all liked to be in good shape still sharp and little to no rust. I really like the Kidex sheaths for this kind of weather it doesn’t hold the moisture like leather.

Skinning a trout we keep the big ones on ice and eat the small ones while we are there.
img_3663.jpg

img_3665.jpg

These fit just right in out frying pan.
img_3669.jpg

They seemed to do a good job on the Onion's
img_3673.jpg

img_3674.jpg

Nothing beats fresh fried fish.

img_3675.jpg
2thumbs

Last edited:
I liked your field test and the pics. Great way to prove your knives. I never heard of a knife being too sharp, just shows you did a good job. :)

Larry

Thanks for all the nice comments I sharpened them using a Professional Knife Sharpening 7-1/2" Wheel I purchased of of Texas knife makers site. It does a very good job fast and clean. The only draw back I see with it is you can over heat the edge if your not careful. I dipped mine in water with each pass just to make sure they were cool.

Back