Hand hammered "Basket weave" damascus

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
A few months ago Randy Jr. Joined me in the shop.. I think I have told this story B4.. But will again..

Hes 19 years old and has a passion for making damascus and forging steel. Its been a great adventure.. And he is learning alot... Sort of a trial by fire.. :) as neither of us have ever done any forging.. Its been on my list of things to do for years. yet somehow it didnt happen till now..

As a Dad, I am proud of all my kids, Yet having Jr in the shop watching him learn and grow.. I dont think I have ever been prouder!

He has created a grand total of 4 billets.. all with hammer and anvil.. The first couple were nice.. Real nice! but after watching some of the Bruce Bump WIP or tutorials.. on making pattern damascus.. (A special thank you, to Bruce.. you are a awesome craftsman with mad skills!) I challenged Jr to try and make a billet of hand hammered basket weave damascus!

It was a real challenge to do this pattern. beings we dont have a press! or trip hammers.. Its crazy that we even tried.. But Jr is young and Im crazy! lol

Enough talk, Heres the resulting billet and the blade ground from it..

Again Thanks to Bruce and everyone on KD who has posted a WIP or tutoral.. This site and the guys and gals on here are the best! Thank you..

Im not sure this is posted in the right forum. If not, Please move to appropriate location. Thanks

Attachments

• MOSAIC.jpg
    MOSAIC.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 224
  • HHH Mosaic damascus blade 001.jpg
    HHH Mosaic damascus blade 001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 197
  • HHH Mosaic damascus blade 002.jpg
    HHH Mosaic damascus blade 002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 227
  • HHH Mosaic damascus blade 003.jpg
    HHH Mosaic damascus blade 003.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 206
  • HHH Mosaic damascus blade 004.jpg
    HHH Mosaic damascus blade 004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Well I got to say that pattern is really cool looking, But then you had to go and say you guys hand hammered the billet. That changes every thing,THAT BILLET IS FREAKING AWSOME. My hats off to you and JR. I dont say Im impressed to often but here it goes IM IMPRESSED Great Job

You two should be very proud of your work. I think the pattern is very artistic!

You two did an amazing job for not having done this before. Happy to have a part in this one. I'm like a proud papa!

Thanks everyone. Yep he worked his butt of to make this one! hehehe..
Believe it or not we were talking about trying a feather pattern in the near future..
Then, who knows I may spring for a press..

We are sure havin fun!!!

Again, Thanks for the comments, and kind words..
Randy

You two did an amazing job for not having done this before. Happy to have a part in this one. I'm like a proud papa!

Bruce, or should I say.. Papa Bump? :) You should be.. I know this blade wouldn't of happened without your tutorial/WIP.. Thanks you for all the time and efforts to make these for us dogs!
My hats off to ya!

God bless YA!!

Randy

Last edited:
I like it! I recently did a less complicated billet of damascus by hand so I have some respect for the amount of work that went into that blade.

LOL I kinda thought that some of the pounders would appreciate this one! lol Thanks for the comments!

We are laying down the "plans" to try a low layer count feather pattern..

Awesome billet and fantastic blade shape too!

Be good to see that one again when it's finished.

Thanks Stew, Im calling it a dress tactical.. Thinking of using ivory marcarta and may even add some scrimshaw.. If Im feeling it!

I will post pics for sure!

Thanks everyone! Im happy to say I got it handled! I used Ivory marcarta.. trying to keep with the tactical shape of the blade.. and its nice! smooth as glass! But its still missing somthin.. ??

So Im thinking of adding some scrimshaw to the handle to give it that little something extra!

I will post up some pics as soon as I can of the progress so far!

Have a great weekend!!

God bless or veterans and service men and woman!!!

Bruce, or should I say.. Papa Bump? :) You should be.. I know this blade wouldn't of happened without your tutorial/WIP.. Thanks you for all the time and efforts to make these for us dogs!
My hats off to ya!

God bless YA!!

Randy

Thanks again Randy
My tutorials are fun to do and its cool to see people come back over and over. This forums has the nicest bunch of people anywhere.

Back