Giveaway for New Makers!

James Terrio

I've put this little kit together as a way to show my gratitude to everyone on this forum, and to help a person who wants to make their own knife but doesn't want to invest a bunch in materials and tools.

Here's your chance! Post here with "I'm in" and your post number will be entered in the drawing. I'll use random.org to pick the winning number on May 15th, 2010, at 6PM CST.

Other posts/suggestions/comments are welcome in this thread; only the posts including "I'm in" will be eligible for the drawing. If a non-eligible post number wins the random drawing, I'll redo it until an eligible "I'm in" post number comes up. Sound fair?

Please don't say "I'm in" unless you actually want to make a knife!

Shipping is on me in the continental US. If you win but live elsewhere, I'm sure we can work something out.

This is the prize: one 8 1/4" piece of 1080 high-carbon steel barstock, one pair of birdseye maple scales, a couple pieces of brass pinstock and tubing, a small c-clamp, a new Nicholson file, and an assortment of sandpaper. Almost everything you need to make a handy EDC or hunting knife!

The winner will need to scrounge up some epoxy, a drill/bits, oil/varnish and/or stain to finish the handle. I'll provide links and info for how to make it happen.

Update: Stan Buzek has graciously volunteered to provide the heat-treating!! Shape your blade, file the bevels, drill all holes and send it to him. He'll HT it and send it back to you so you can polish it up and put the handles on. Thanks Stan! :)

Update: Jeff Pearce has added a free custom lanyard to the kit! When the winner is picked, I'll send him your address so he can send it directly to you. Thanks Jeff! :)

Update: Archer Moon has donated a handmade maple bead for the lanyard! Thanks buddy!

Good luck, and thank you KnifeDogs for giving us a chance to help someone! 2thumbs

We Have a Winner!! post #34, Precise has won the kit. Congratulations!

Attachments

• GAW kit.jpg
    GAW kit.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Rock on boys, and good luck! Call your friends, let's get a few more unsuspecting people hooked on making knives :D

James, Thats awesmoe of ya. I agree once you make one knife, YOU HOOKED!
this is a great idea, I like it..

God Bless YA!

I'm in James, thank you for opportunity. God knows, I wouldn't be making mistakes while trying to create a knife if it wasn't for generous people like you to get me started with some steel. Hard to get around these day's, but filing is relaxing!:confused:huh1

Jeff

James,

I just wanted to say this is very cool of you buddy.

Do not consider this an entry...I have been very spoiled over the past several months.

I just wanted to give you 2thumbs and wish everyone luck.

Cool deal you are doing here bud.:D

Chris

I'm most definitely not in. I have all that stuff and would much rather see it go to some kid out there that's game to give it a whirl.

Thank you, though, for stepping up in such a unique way. Says a lot about you.

James,

This is an awesome gesture and another reason I hang out here with such quality people. I am NOT in on this one, but I have to say thanks for stepping up and trying to help out the new/prospective makers.

My first post here but I have been lurking as a non-member for a little while.
I'm in!!
Thanks for the opportunity,
Tiger

Back