So I made it like he said...

jkf96a

Just finished a knife for a customer. He wanted D2, 4 inch blade, specified the filework, antler handle. Other than that, he told me to make it how I want, because I'm the knife maker. I put a nice knife together, and now he says, "it's nice, but not what I had in mind." The knife is already a few weeks later than I had initially indicated, but no money has changed hands. Aside from being a little peeved, and venting to you guys rather than the customer, how should I proceed on this deal?

Jason,
I guess to me his explanation is pretty vague. What specifically is not what he had in mind? The file pattern? The handle color or shape? Did he provide you with a picture or list of specific requirements before you started? I would find out that information, and take it from there. Hard to fix something unless you know exactly whats wrong. :D

Larry

Walk away. If the knife is right and doesn't have his name engraved in it, someone else who will be happy with it will buy it.

I require a fifty percent non-refundable deposit when doing graphic arts, but they are customized to that client. It does commit them and tends to make it easier for them to be decisive and clear with their ideas. If you are working out of your comfort zone with different designs and materials that you are buying specifically for that project, I would do the same with custom knives.

Hmmm. Is it so different that you can't modify it to make the customer happy?

Sounds like you did what you were asked... I guess I would talk to him and ask if the finished knife is "tweakable" to what he wants. If not, ask him to be more clear about details, and give him a reasonable guess how long it will take to build a new one exactly the way he wants. Make him be real specific!

I'd be bummed too if the client said "do what you want" and then turned it down. If he wanted a true custom order, he should have told you exactly what he wanted.

It's probably a good thing that no money has exchanged hands yet, that would just be more pressure on you. On the other hand, you spent $ on labor and materials... maybe you can sell this knife to someone else?

When I worked in the printing industry, we would send clients a "proof" with every single spec detailed before we ran the job. If they signed off on the proof, that's a contract. If we met spec and they didn't like it, well too bad, they're still getting billed. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's business. "The customer is always right", they say, but ya can't let 'em run you around forever, either.

Can you post a pic of the blade you made for this customer? Its sometimes easier when we can see the blade your talking about.

Thanks Larry

Pics are posted, it's the antler handled knife I put in the gallery. He wants the blade to point to the left when looking top down, not straight with the antler as I made it. Not tweakable. He's right handed, but wants to carry cross draw on the left side. He wants the knife to curve to fit his waist. I can sheath it so that the butt end of the antler sits close to his waist, but I don't think a crooked knife is the answer to his problem.

I would ask for an example or a sketch of what he wants, assuming that you are willing to give it another shot. If he has something specific in mind, which it seems he does, he needs to be clear about that from the beginning. Unless you can read minds;)
Edit:Wrote this while you were posting. The issue is clearer now, but I am not sure how I would deal with this. I have always hated knives with side-curved grips and I don't think I would make a knife I knew I wasn't going to like.

Last edited:
Sounds odd to me, his request of a curved knife after the fact.
Cut your losses, let someone else own it. Situations Happen.
Dozier

walk away and sell it to some one else. you won't win trying to make him buy it.

There have been times, rarely, when I have made a custom sheath for a buyer, usually a local, that when it was delivered was not to his liking. I have also found out that at the time of delivery that the purchaser was also financially troubled and was looking for an easy out. If the sheath has possibilities of being easily sold by virtue of not being too far out, I usually tell the purchaser that I will keep it in my shop for a couple of weeks. Most of the time they will come back with money in hand. If customization has been to the point where resale is doubtful, and the knife has been and is in my possession, I will utilize my right to a mechanics lien and hold his knife in hostage until satisfactory payment has been achieved. I have never had this problem with a knifemaker, only with those that want an after market sheath for a knife they possess.

Sounds to me he is waiting for you to discount the knife. I have seriously at least 75 knives and all sheathed except the kitchen knives . I also have an extra 40 or 50 sheaths incase some one needs one or I get knife making crazy then I have them on hand and build knives to fit the sheaths. Ide just ask the guy one time what is wrong or not to his likeing . The tell him you could try to make another but 100 % non refundable deposit is required. Most of the time your better off not selling to some one like this because he is more woman than man sorta speak and couldnt make up his mind if he wanted to. I personally avoid people that hum and ha and tire kick .

I just went and looked at the knife. Very nice! You shouldn't have any trouble finding another buyer for it.

Hard as it might be, not only walk away, but erase this insult from your mind. There will always be a Richard A. Cranium out there to steal your thunder, but don't let him win.

There's a story about two Asian monks and an old woman who could not swim. That parable applies here.

Take comfort that your beautiful knife will be sold to another, and the man who slighted you will never enjoy its use.

I've grown cynical in the last couple of years, so I may be a little brash. If this lunkhead suddenly pulled these specific out of his ...butt after the fact, I'd tell him to get bent and walk away. You can't be held responsible for him not communicating these "vital" considerations prior to the build. If he can't see that, based on what your telling us, it's his error, then he is going to be nothing more than a problem child on future transactions as well.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Yeah, if he failed to mention a make-or-break detail like that he might not be a customer you want to deal with, but that is a professional decision that each has to make for himself.

He wants a crooked knife? Why on earth would he assume you would know to make the knife crooked? No one makes a knife crooked on purpose, at least not that I've seen. I also vote "walk away" on that one. Someone else will be willing to buy a nice, straight, antler-handled hunter with fish filework

Justin, it's great to see you in this neck of the woods!!! Welcome aboard!!!

Jeff

Yeah, if he failed to mention a make-or-break detail like that he might not be a customer you want to deal with, but that is a professional decision that each has to make for himself.

Update

I put some thought into it, and sent the following reply to the customer.

I've put some thought into this, and several things come to mind.
One, I made the knife the best I could. I understand what you're asking for, but as a knifemaker, I think it's a bad idea. The knife won't work as well for its intended use if it's not straight, IMO. On top of that, I don't want anyone to ever say, "Yeah, I saw one of Jason Fry's knives, and he didn't know how to put it together straight."
Two, I don't expect you to spend this kind of money for a knife that isn't what you want. It's your money, and you need to be satisfied with what you get. On the other hand, I think this knife will do what you want in terms of performance, and the sheath design I had in mind will keep the knife close to your body. I'm going to leave it up to you whether you want to purchase this knife or not. It should sell well if you don't.
Three, I'm not comfortable making another one at this point, and this knife can't be modified the way you want. Right now all you have invested is some hope of a knife. I hate to disappoint you, but that's part of why I don't take deposits.
If you want the knife, let me know and I'll make the sheath to fit tight on the left side. If you don't, that's OK, and I'll make the sheath in a different configuration and sell it on the boards.
Thanks,
Jason

I'll let you knifedogs know how it turns out, since you helped me sort through the issues.

Back