Keeping dust out.

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I have small belt sander in the garage. I have to carry it outside when I work on wood or G11 due to the dust. Is there some kind of portable pop up room or tent I could use to sand in while in the garage or back yard?

You could get one of those 10x10 canopies they use in street fairs. Many are popups that go up quickly and sell for under $150

If you are wanting walls you can get walls for some of the 10x10s but I doubt that you would like being closed up in a 10x10 space with a sander.

For small work you can put the hose of a shop vac near the wheel where most of the dust comes off. will take alot of dust out of the air. And be careful with G10 use a GOOD dust mask!

I bought a 1200 cfm dust collector and it works great with the new 1 micron filter. The show vac is spreading very very fine dust at a alarming rate. might be a little better is you added water to the shop vac to try to trap the findust. I doubt it will work but worth a try. This Is one of the best ways to reduce dust, I also wear a full or half mask 80 %of the time.
HPIM2114.jpg

I wear a respirator 100% of the time I'm grinding. As well as coveralls, safety glasses, and a bandana tied on my head. With G10/G11 I've been wearing a dust mask even while hand sanding.

I do have a 20" fan with filter like Tracy suggests, but the dust from G10/G11 is such a fine powder that it just goes everywhere.

I still have to use my garage for cars so I am just looking for an alternative place to grind/sand down handle material.

I guess working out in the driveway with a canopy overhead will be my best option until I can get a separate building for a shop...

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

HELLGAP, is that Dust Collector noisy?

Last edited:
Chris it is noisy but the power it has you can actually see a stream of dust go straight into it as sanding. This is an idea. make a little out house kinda deal for a dust collector like this to go in out side your garage with the lines going right through the wall your dust would be less than 1 percent. Since I put the 1 micron filter on I have not had to dust off my computer and it sits 2 ft away from it. Before I only had the bag I dusted off the puter daily. Its been over 3 months since i wiped off my computer and thats just finger prints.

How about a collection hood like you use for working with chemicals it has suction both in the top and bottom it's kind of like a salad bar with a sneeze guard on the top. I was thinking of making one when i'm working with ca.

Chris my dust collector is seriously 2 ft from my computer and I havent wiped the dust off for over 3 months . The filter is the key it isnt cheap but wow its good. the filters run about 250 to 350 dollars the machine is 400. you can find um cheaper look for a sale.

Back