Newby

The Hook

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the knife making business, but not to the knife loving business. I've loved knives my whole life, but it wasn't until recently that I've decided to become a maker.

I live close to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and even though I've been in there a million times, I only recently discovered that Ken Largin teaches knife making there.

I've only been to his "class" twice, but I've been doing some homework with a belt sander and some wood.

I'm a reservist and I'm on military orders, so my knife making is on hold for right now, but I can't wait to get home to pick up where I left off.

Here is some of work.

Here is my first ever "knife". I wasn't completely in control, but it turned out OK.

2hzlv7k.jpg

My next one compared to the first. I had much better control. I've actually turned out a few more very similar to this (which is my goal, to make several alike)

r1kfog.jpg

I had some left over wood and I just had to attempt this. Angles are difficult on my little sander, so I messed the hand guard up (not symmetrical), but overall, I was happy it even looked like a knife.

24pwkcm.jpg

Thanks for looking and this forum has been a great inspiration!

Last edited:
Nice way to get started but heat treating those is gonna be a real PITA.:D
Wood is a good practice medium and will teach you control keep at it and steel will be easy.
Stan

Well, I heat treated the second batch and they are all gone! So much for tempering!

That's what my teacher said about wood. If you can learn control on wood and maintain straight lines, it will be easy to transfer that to steel.

Back