Andersen Forge - Brut de Forge

Karl B. Andersen

How can a knife maker spend the weekend around Joe Keeslar and then NOT go home and make some of these??
It's impossible.
For those on this forum not familiar with the process - and I'm certain that is VERY few! - the term "Brut de forge" may be translated as rough and unfinished or gross forgeing.
Regardless, the knife may appear to be somewhat unfinished, and this is intentional.
It has all of the attributes granted to more refined knives, in that the steel is of high quality, it is offered the best heat treating that I can give it, and it has its own unique and distinct qualities.
The blade was forged down from heavy 1095 steel stock and differentially hardened using clay backing, which also results in the hamon activity seem in the inset photo.
The handle scales are stabilized cross-grain spalted maple.
A HEAVY knife!
Quite a handful.
(More of these to come in the future.)

sm5-1.jpg

VERY cool Karl!!!

I need to do more of that. I really like this style. The funny thing is you make a knife like this and people say, "Oh, it's hand forged!" As opposed to a super highly finished piece they manage to convince themselves a machine made it.

Thanks for sharing Karl! cool 1

Wow great looking blade Mr Keeslar would be proud.

I saw Joe make one of these one time and thought he was nut's for starting on the wrong end. But It worked and he did it all in about 15 minutes.

Back