What do you look for in custom knives?

K Waters

What is the first thing you notice when you first look at a custom knife?

For me it is the gaps between mating parts, especially between the bolsters and handle material or where the handle matl. meets the liner material.

If there is light seen between parts, then I'm turned away from a knife.

As a maker, and someone who has judged at both the ABS Journeyman and Mastersmith levels, I look at knives in a couple of different ways, depending on the situation. I have a lot of other makers who ask me to examine their knives and give them feedback. The method I use to inspect a knife depends on exactly what the individual asks.
If some says "Will you LOOK at my knives?", I will be as nice as possible, pointing out the major issues, and not mentioning the small things. On the other hand, if someone asks... "Would you CRITIQUE my knives?" I examine the knives as if I were judging them for the JS or MS certification. This means that ANYTHING I see, that could have been done better, is pointed out.

OK, I know that likely wasn't what you were looking for, so I'll give you my input as if I were a customer.... The first thing I look at is the overall design/flow of the knife. Sharp corners and angles are not something that I think looks good on a knife. Do my eyes easily follow the profile of the knife? The next thing I look at is the blade/handle alignment...all too often makers will have an otherwise nice looking knife, but when sighting down the spine from the butt end of the handle, the blade looks like it jogs off to one side or another. This is a direct result of not paying attention when finishing the knife. After that, then I look at the fit and finish. If there are ANY gaps, I would walk away. In my opinion a blade should look like it's growing out of the guard, and likewise the guard should look like it's growing out of the handle. Plunge cuts should be even and equal, and blade finishes should be smooth and even without bumps, dips, or waves. The best tool a person can use to examine a blade, is the way that light reflects off of it.

Finally, I think it's very important to ask questions of the maker, about any concerns you might have with a knife.....something that you think odd, might be there for a reason.

If your at a yard sale and come across a knife that has the name
Bob Loveless on it and it has a small gap between the guard and blade I would advise you to go ahead and buy it.:p

Yep Tod,

I'd think that may be the best thing to do. Good point.:D

I'm just thinking at knife shows though. Most makers are very good at the shows.

I have looked at the "custom knives" at the gun shows and I've seen quite a few that could use some help.

Granted, gun shows are typically not the place to look at the handmade knife.

Thanks for the information Ed, great write up and good points. Hopefully one year I'll make it to the blade show and I'll be sure to ask you to CRITIQUE my knives. That would be an honor.

Thanks, Kelly

I've gotten some feedback from different sources.

When I had a fairly local Master look at my blades (Mike Vagnanino, great guy, and extremely helpful) he pointed out some of the same things Ed does. My knives have the standard plunge lines at the ricasso but also the scandi and scandivex grinds will have a grind angle that has to be matched up at the front of the blade, as well. He also pointed out that on a "3 piece" scale knife, the handle fronts need to be beveled, at least lightly (which I always do) and that the linex on that have to match (which I haven't always been fantastic at).

Gaps, large discolorations around the pins, evenness of the edge, "dead spots" on the finish, and even sanding lines are other areas he said collectors will look at. He did mention flow and overall composition as well.

I've taken what he said and gone over all my custom and production knives just to see, and get better at seeing. ... Interesting to go back after a few years and look at things again.

I was leery of asking Mike, because whether I'm forging or doing stock removal (85%)- I really don't work in anything remotely like most of the ABS maker styles. He is a fantastic resource, and continues to be a great resource for the shop practices.

Up until now, I've only done gun shows- Boise will be my first proper knife show. Seeing people come and go, I have to agree with Kelly. But the couple I've seen do more than one show that are new makers (like I still am) make huge improvements show to show. A couple collectors who have stopped by my table at each show and talked- and remembered what I had at the table before- have been great critical resources.

Two of the things they look for, and some have told me this- isn't in the knife itself. It's "sticktoitness" and "progress".

Design and fit-and-finish are big, but I can overlook fit-and-finish to a degree if the blade has good geometry, good edge retention, and a certain ease of sharpness. I like my customs to be users :)

~Noah

Kelly,

I just started in this custom / hand made journey 4 years ago. At first I was just looking to be a collector. After a few internet searches I thought I could try my hand at making. I still look at other makers knives for inspiration / idea's on things to improve.

In answer to your question. For me the knife has to look like it was built to work. Such as a hunter / skinner / camp knife etc. Then it has to feel good in my hand. After that I start looking at how well things fit together.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Blade Show Tester's Table24P

If you ask most custom knife buyers, they will tell you that they “buy what they like,” with all other considerations being secondary—including the knife’s ability to appreciate in value. Being a custom knife purveyor, one of the ways I stay in business is by buying and selling knives that appreciate in value. That being said, what is it that makes a knife appreciate in value? First off, innovators and innovations always find their way to the top. If you look at the majority of the “in-demand” work today, the makers of said work have in some way made major contributions to their particular categories of knives.

If making the rounds looking at knives at a show and/or considering purchases, then design and flow are the first thing I consider. As if I don't find the knife appealing from that perspective I will not invest the time to look further.

If asked to critique a knife, I will still first examine the knife's design and flow then look very closely at the knife's fit & finish and ergonomics.

Here's a "knife critique" pictorial from the Custom Knife Collectors Association website that's gear towards educating the new collector as to what to look for when considering a knife for purchase.
http://www.customknifecollectorsassociation.com/Knife_critique.html

I prefer to hold it in my hand with my eyes closed , while looks are important , I like to make sure it feels right. Depending on the price , I am willing to overlook certain imperfections , though I only buy knives to use , not to collect to sell later.

To me that knife has to feel good in the hand , I don't like square corners , flat blocky scales or sharp edges anywhere but on the cutting edge.

I prefer to hold it in my hand with my eyes closed , while looks are important , I like to make sure it feels right. Depending on the price , I am willing to overlook certain imperfections , though I only buy knives to use , not to collect to sell later.

To me that knife has to feel good in the hand , I don't like square corners , flat blocky scales or sharp edges anywhere but on the cutting edge.

I feel the same way. I hate square corners or sharp edges anywhere but the blade. Odd since I know you like Strider knives and I bought one for my son who found the top of the handle and blade almost as sharp as the cutting edge. You need gloves on those knives.:D

I always thought a custom knife is something you and the maker work on together. The maker executing your wishes. In example on my folder, I asked for a flipper, tip up, relief in the handles to access the liner lock, and friction on the handles to be able to feel it(numb hands). It was made for me.

The first thing I notice when I first view a custom knife is the blade. A tanto blade is not my cup of tea and a clip point perks me up. I don't particully care about the steel other than it's a knife... it should cut! The next thing that gets my attention is the handle. Fit & finish should be excellent and the knife should feel comfortable in the hand. Wouldn't hurt to have some exotic material and turquoise on it either. ;)

DSCN9431.jpg

The style and materials will be the first things to get my attention. I am especially drawn to anything unique.

If the knife is by a well known maker I tend to assume that the basics are covered and it has been properly made.

If it's by some I don't know, I first look at the grinds to see if they are even. I then look at the fit and finish. Sloppy grinds and poor fit and finish are usually deal breakers. I'll also consider the balance and geomerty if it's a user.

If it looks good to that point I will ask the maker some questions about how he or she made the knife to get a sense of how experienced they are and maybe learn something more about the knife.

I started collecting with high end folders, but as i have progressed as collector and now into knife making, i lean more toward fixed blades that are meant to be used and abused with a value that is for every man or woman. I look at the overall construction of the knife with even plunge cuts, no waves, and seamless construction within the handle. I don't have any preferences of materials ( i hate steel snobs). Now days I look for value and I ask myself....should I pay x amount just because a certain person made it? I don't care who the maker is....you better be bringing something truly awesome if have a big price tag and by big I mean anything over $500.

I look to see if it appeals to my eye, if it does, I look into it further, if it doesn't, the process stops there. Who is the maker? Is it a maker I know? Is it it a maker with a good reputation or not? If not, I stop looking at the knife. I like frame locks, but if the knife is a liner lock, I don't mind at all. I prefer 3 inch bladed knives; that is my carry preference.

Back