HELP Identify 3 Knives

F

Freetradz

Hello - New to the forum, came up in a search to identify a frontier DMP knife. I was very impressed with the knowledgable input from so many. I picked up some knives years ago I have never been able to identify or value.
1) Stag handle brass guard guthook blade, guard has only marking (VN804) maybe? Stag handle has deer head scrimshaw with letters (XN)?
2) Stag handle with hand painted eagle file worked blade, tang has OLSON, sheath by BODEAN HIDE WORKS - HAND CRAFTED IN MONTANA.
3) Wood handle clip point skinner blade, has image of rose with HAND MADE 440 STAINLESS STEEL - ITEM #RA 1405, also has silver rose inset on handle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, THANKS.
SR

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
ADDITIONAL PICS ...

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
The guthook knife looks very much like one produced by a fella who USED to live in Helena, MT. He made all of his blades out of old circular saw blades, and made 400-500 knives a year. He had a wide network of sales locations in all the tourist areas of Montana. He visited me a few times, but it was obvious that he was all about the money, and would build as many knives as possible, as fast as he could.....obviously he and I didn't see eye to eye. :) I've not seen or heard of him in several years now. I did hear a rumor once that he had passed away, but cannot confirm that.

The knife with the multi-colored handle is almost certainly a Pakistan import. I've seen many of those in that same configuration all over the place. New they sell for about $7 each.

The one with the painting on the handle is very likely an early Joe Olsen, of Geyser, MT. The combination of the "Olsen" on the blade, and the painting equal Joe. I have no idea of it's year, or current value, but can tell you that now a days Joe makes mostly high end folders, each with a theme. Joe's current knives bring high prices, but are worth every penny.

The scimitar-type with the multi-colored handle looks like something from Frost or Pakistan. Couldn't make out the logo on the shield and I am not all that sure I would know Frost's if I saw it. It may be a direction to go with it, if nothing else to rule it out.

And...

KnifeDogsWelcome1.gif

(We usually do that in the Introduction Posts!)

Thanks for the speedy response - do you recall the name of the Helena MT guy or company name, do the initials XN mean anything or VN804??

I am familure with the Olsen knives but the spelling on the one I have is Olson?? And I have never been able to trace it.

The wood handle, I think your right the tang spacing is sloppy and overall not very quality.

Thanks again.
SR

I probably messed up the spelling on Olson! I just looked back and realized my mistake....thats what I get when my brain goes faster than my fingers.:D

It's very possible that there are several makers who have built knives like that first one. There used to be a maker from MO by the name of Ken Richardson who built knives like that. I think his knives can still be found on that very popular online auction site. The sheath looks just like the one's he makes and he does a lot of wildlife scrim similar to that on the butt end of his knives.

The multicolor handle knife, as stated above, looks like an import.

I don't have any ideas about #2.

SDS

Back