Hello from New Mexico

Dwane Oliver

Hi guys and gals, Dwane Oliver here. I know some of you , from another place. I've been out for a while , exploring other hobbies. I'm starting to get back into making a few. Shore makes my hands hurt but its worth it most of the time. I'll be hanging around a bit and spouting off now and then. Not much I'm pretty quiet. Nice to see there is another "friendly" place to converse. 2thumbs

Dwane

Welcome Dwane, this is a great place. Where in NM?

Allen

KnifeDogsWelcome1.gif

I was raised in Lovington. I used Mapquest and found Bloomfield to be between El Paso and Las Cruces? and Lunas had three locations all over the state. I've been gone since 1961 but the family is still out there. I just like this green grass, trees and rolling hills. Lovington is a little town in the grass plains and oil patch. I just had to get away to a big city. So now where do I live? In a littler town in an oil patch. Funny how it seems to come around.

Bloomfield is about 50 miles from the Fourcorners ( Az-Co-Ut-NM) in the middle of the oil patch. I'm oilfield trash an damm proud of it.

My aunt lives in Los Lunas
I've benn there several times
I love New Mexico
I go there a few times a year
I fly from SB to ABQ
Then hop in a rental car and drive north through Sante Fe, Taos and Espanola (The Lowrider Capital of the World)
There used to be a diner in Tres Piedras that was famous for it's Frito Pies

Huh?
What you talkin' about Trent?:cool:
What the heck are Frito Pies you ask??!!
FRITO PIE

1 1/2 c. ground meat
1 med. onion

Chop. Brown the meat with the onion. Drain.

SAUCE:

1/2 c. tomato sauce
4 tbsp. molasses
4 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. mustard
5 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 c. pinto sauce (optional, if want hot

Mix together thoroughly. Add all of the ingredients to the ground meat.
Take a 9 x 9 inch cake pan and line it with crushed corn chips.

Cover the top of the hamburger mixture with the cheese. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.
The authentic Frito Pies are made in the bag
frito_pie-711694.jpg

When I was in grade school (early '50s) the store across the street from the school served "Frito Pie" at lunch. It was, "Split a single serving bag of Fritos, add a ladle of chili, some diced onion and cheese. You got a plastic spoon to eat it with. He didn't even supply a paper plate. I still make these for lunch, from time to time. Doesn't make me feel a bit younger though.

Back