Press die info???

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dogs!
I'm working on building a press and one of the things I need more info on is the dies, I need any tutorials on how to make them, maybe where to buy them, I've been to all the usual places, Riverside, USA Knife Makers Supply, but no luck so far. The main one I want is tapered die, that will put the bevel on a blade. I'm pretty sure I can make it, but I'm not sure how to start, Thanks for he help, Rex
BTW, the die I'm talking about may not be called that, that's just all I can think of to call it, sorry.

I've been using a forging press for a lot of years, and have built a LOT of different dies for presses. If you talking about building a set of dies to forge the edge bevels, and IF your planning on pressing in the edge bevels with standard thickness knife stock (1/4" thick or less) the issue you'll run into is the rate at which the dies cool the stock. In order for dies to hold up to the intense pressure and heat exposure, they will have to be made of fairly heavy/thick stock (I rarely build a press die less than 3/4" thick). This will cause the stock to cool so rapidly. That fact, in many cases, makes pressing in the edge bevels virtually impossible with any of the size presses normally found in most knifemakers' shops. Just something to think about.

I built sets of "plates" for my press. (these are the base plates for all my die sets) They consist of a 3"wx6"Lx3/8" thick plate of A36, with 1/4"x1" angle iron welded to each long edge that fit the die bases of my press. I then weld on the specific sized pieces of A36 stock to create the dies I want.
About the only place I know that sells extra press plates/dies is the folks who make the Imagination Xpress, and those dies only fit the press they build.
There was a time when I considered trying to use steel such as D2 of something similar for dies, in hopes they would not deform with use....didn't work. In my opinion using anything other than el-cheapo A36 hot roll is wasting your money...simply because any steel that is heat treatable will be deformed/wrecked just as quickly because of the exposure to the heat and pressure that occur with press dies.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed,
That explains a lot. I was thinking I might be able to take some 1/4" stock and mash it to have a bevel or at least the distal taper, try and save the elbows some. Mine seem to be going too soon for my age, (maybe I can hold on until I can get some BIONIC elbows, now that'll be some forging FUN!!!), I was hoping I could be able to apply the press to more than just experimenting with Damascus, and maybe (probably) Mokume. I really enjoy learning new things, and when it's something I can add to my knives, it's all the better.

Can you explain how your dies fit in a little better? I was thinking something like angle iron. But I was thinking of welding it to another bar, with the angle iron standing upright making a ledge (for the die to fit into), and that piece would be welded to the ram. I hope I''m explaining it like I can see it in my head. Thanks again for your input, I really didn't want to buy them, I would prefer to make them, that way I can experiment with my own creativity. Thanks, Rex

Hey Rex!

I'll try to get some pics of my dies and how they fit onto the press this evening and post them on this thread. I've got a student in the shop all this week, so most of the daylight hours are filled up this week! :)

More tonight!

Thanks Ed!
I really appreciate the time and effort your giving me, I hope I will be good enough to help newbies like so many here have done for me, Rex

Rex, Ed's not just doing for you we will all benefit just because you asked the question. Thanks to both of you.

Ron "Bowie" Claybourn in TN makes some beveled dies. I dont have a number for him, but Ill look for it.

I have one of his presses and am very pleased with it.

Ed is right on with the dies eating up all your heat. Remember these are a HUGE heat sink. Anything in contact with them will exchjange heat or cold at a fast rate. To overcome this, Ive made a rack above the mouth of my forge to have my dies set in the forge exhaust. Warning, it gets kind of tricky moving around heavy HOT dies! But it seems to slow down the cooling effect of the cooler dies.

Another thought, if you are not failier with presses, make small bites. Also be aware that if you are using a bevel die, you are pressing from one side more than the other. Somthing needs to be in place to keep the blade from pushing out of the dies. Not tried beveling dies yet but see where this could be a HUGE problem if not addressed.

Keep us posted on your press!

God Bless
Mike

Bob Burgman demonstrates bevel dies on his KA hammer that he said that Jim Batson told him about. Each die has a bevel of 7 degrees. They are used in a power hammer so the heat sink effect is not as bad.

I will check with Ron "Bowie" Claiborne and make sure that it is ok to post his phone # is 865-660-1569. I just talked to him and he ok posting his #. He is going to be doing silver inlay at the Batson Blade Symposium.

His computer is down right now so phone is the way to contact him. He also said to check out the ABS Hammer-in at Haywood College next week by going the ABS web site.

Mike, he said say "Hello".

Hey Gang!

Here are some pics of my press, with the combination flat dies in place. You can see the 3/8" plate that is the "base", and the 1/4" X 1" angle iron that mates with the dies holder on the press.

Hope these are helpful!

Pressdies1.jpg

Pressdies2.jpg

The larger flat area is 3/4" thick X 3" wide X 6" long, and the smaller front portion is 3/4" thick X 1 1/2" wide X 3" long. Both pieces are made of A36, and as you can see, they are simply tack welded to the Base plates. I just installed these new pieces a couple of days ago. For me, and the use my press sees, I have to replace those pieces of A36 about every other month. The heat and pressure is just more than they can take for much longer.....the edges curl under, and the larger sections will warp to the point where nothing comes out flat or square.

Last edited:
Wayne when you see him give him a big hug from "Dances with tents" He will know who its from!cool 1

Ron is a wealth of knowledge and is ready to share with anyone who asks.
When I bought my press, he insisted that I stay for 2 days just so he could show me how to use it! Great guy and a True Southern Gentelman.

Wish I could make it to Batsons, sounds like an allstar cast!

Ed, I like the "Ears" you put on your dies!

God Bless
Mike

Back