Lightest/Whitest Burl?

Erin Burke

I was wondering today... What is the lightest (color)/whitest burl wood that is out there? Does Holly ever form burls? Does anyone have photos of a very-light-colored (almost white) burl wood that could be used for knife-handles?

Erin

I don't know if Holly forms burls, the lightest colored burl I can think of is box elder. Most of it is dyed because it usually doesn't have much color contrast.

Here's a light colored burl.

This comes from a basketball-size growth off an large, old Red Maple. The two pieces adjacent to the stacked birch bark on the knife, and the sheath slabs are all the same wood with only a buffed tung/carnuaba wax finish

sgaindhub059.jpg

sgaindhub091.jpg

Here's a light colored burl.

This comes from a basketball-size growth off an large, old Red Maple. The two pieces adjacent to the stacked birch bark on the knife, and the sheath slabs are all the same wood with only a buffed tung/carnuaba wax finish

sgaindhub059.jpg

sgaindhub091.jpg

That is one of the coolest and original handles I have seen in years! Would have never thought of using the birch bark and stacking it like you did. I've got some birch fire wood stack up along side the outside of the shop. Really fine looking knife and scabbard!

Erin, I never have seen any burls on the holly that grows around here, how about some red berries? :D

Back