Lets talk about 3V

Looking for input from makers who have worked with CPM 3V. Would like to know the good & bad points of this steel. Crucibles H/T info is kind of broad. Anybody have a surefire H/T recipe for it? Would also like to hear from anyone who has used a knife made from this steel. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I've been using it lately. You need to send it out to be professionally heat treated mainly because it has to be quenched very fast. I would suggest Peter's or Paul Bos. The only bad thing about this steel is it will rust. That's it. It finishes nicely. I etch it in ferric chloride which helps prevent it from staining as easily.
-John

Its great for big blades. I haven't had any problems with rust but mainly because of the dry climate I live in.

Plate quenching is not sufficient IMO. I did some tests using plate quenching and the highest hardnest I could acheive was 57 HRC. Not good enough in my opinion. The worst result I had was 50 HRC. I just sent 18 pcs out to Paul Bos and all came back at 60 HRC. Most guys who use it will tell you to send it out. Another issue is that if it warps it is much harder to straighten, it becomes very springy after it is quenched.
-John

John,

Could you elaborate a little on the 'springy'. Does that mean it will withstand lateral stress better than some of the other stainless steels that are commonly used in knives?

Thanks,
Carey

Carey,
When I say it is springy, I mean that usually after quenching a steel and you see a little warpage, you can put it in the vise and straighten it pretty easily. The steel will still move for a few minutes. 3V doesn't do this at all. You would have to heat it up with say a torch to bend it. 3V is an excellent steel as far as toughness and impact resistance.
-John

HT 2000F and Temper 1000F (3X for 2 hrs). I did the quench with quench plates and forced air. The plates were about 45F when I quenched. Then Cryoed it before the temper cycles. I get very consistent HTs with CPM D2, CPM S30V, and CPM 154. This stuff is very different. Call up Paul Bos and talk to him. He is very easy to talk to and will give you much more info than I can. I really don't think you can quench it fast enought to get a 59 to 60 HRC. I think you can get 55 to 57 HRC pretty consistently with practice.
-John

"Does that mean it will withstand lateral stress better than some of the other stainless steels that are commonly used in knives?"

3V is far from being stainless, but it will withstand lateral stress far better than any commonly used stainless.

Back