Dust Collector. How many CFM??

Diamond G Knives

Im setting up my new shop. Im using a 20' shipping container box. My question is this. I want to run a Dust collector to each piece of equipment (grinder, sander, buffer)

I have a Grizzly Grinder, KMG, 9" vari speed disc, and a 1x30 and a 1x42 sanders as well as 3 buffers.

My question is how to duct it, and how many cfm's do I need to make it work well. I plan to vent to outside atmosphere.

I have a larger blower I got in an auction, just imagine a buffalo hand crank blower 5x larger. It has a plywood backing on one side that has a 3" hole in it. Im assuming it was used for this pourpose at one time. Its got a 1.5 horse motor on it.

should I use say a 4 or 6" pipe at the machine and duct down to a smaller main pipe going into the blower to increase my suction?

Anyone see an issue with venting to the atmosphere? Im in the country so bothering others isnt an issue, but will I be blowing a lot of sparks this far?? Mabe an arrestor in line?

Im worried about air quality in such a small area. I do wear a respirator, but the dust collector is a must in my oipinion.

If anyone has any cool ideas for a shipping container mod, Im all for hearing it!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

air "purifier”

Mike,

One of the simplest and most efficient dust collectors/air purifiers was posted by one of the guys just a few weeks ago. He said to take a 20” box fan and attach an AC unit filter (the corrugated paper type filter). The photos he supplied showed a box fan with the filter duct taped to the frame. It wasn’t very pretty but I tried it and it works “wondermously”! I set it up right next to my grinder and when it is on the high setting it collects nearly of the dust emitted.

CK

Mike,

One of the simplest and most efficient dust collectors/air purifiers was posted by one of the guys just a few weeks ago. He said to take a 20” box fan and attach an AC unit filter (the corrugated paper type filter). The photos he supplied showed a box fan with the filter duct taped to the frame. It wasn’t very pretty but I tried it and it works “wondermously”! I set it up right next to my grinder and when it is on the high setting it collects nearly of the dust emitted.

CK

That was Bossdog and here is the link to get to it.

http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=1715

I think that the "air purifier" would be a great addition to a dust collector and plan on using 3 or 4 in the shop, but Im wanting to move the bulk of the dust outside.

Thanks
Mike

When I move my shop outside I will build a small out house kinda shack to put the dust collector in and then its out of the ellements and no worries. I just put on a 1 micron filter and I noticed a difference already the filter was near 300 bucks but who cares.
HPIM2114.jpg

If you just want to move it outside get the biggest blower you can get and just hook it up to a 6" hose and blow it outside. If you can get a 6" intake that is better. You can use PVC pipe, but run a bare copper wire throughout the system and ground it so you don't get a static explosion.
-John

I use a smoke exhaust blower that I had from my welding shop days. It has a 6" intake and a 4" exhaust outlet, and is blowing it outside my shop, I ran the 6" to the Bader and run 2-1/2" to the bandsaw, and 4x36 sander, it works great, but I place a 5 gallon bucket with water in it under the exhaust to keep down on fire starting in dry grass, (ask me how I learned that lesson) I would have to check on the cfm of it, but it moves alot of air.

Mike,

CK

Is that basically the same thing as running a dust collector? Or is it just a way to really help rid the air of dust in conjunction with a purifier?

Here's my 2 cents. I have a 2400cfm collector running through 6" pipe to my 4 grinders. The grinder farthest from the collector has less than half the suction of the closest grinder even when all the other ports are closed. A collector expert told me this is due to friction loss. A buddy of mine has 800cfm collectors each run to 2 machines only. His pipe isn't nearly as long as mine and his 4 collectors cost less than my one. Take it for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

Back