good sources for VFD drives and motors?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I am looking for sources for VFD controllers and 3 phase motors for a some projects Dave and I are working on.

We need a list of suppliers here...

1. Where are some places for a VFD Drive (frequency speed controller) with 230v in and 3phase out? Rated for up 2hp?
2. Must have a NEMA 4 enclosure option.

3. ...and a good place for a TEFC 1750rpm 3phase 230v frequency motor with C face plate?

I've been to www.factorymation.com and their FM50 http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.13/.f is not bad. If you make your own enclosure, it's probably one of the best deals out there. Throw in the enclosure with external POT and reverse and the Drive shoots up to $422. Which isn't terrible for that kind of equipment but I'm hoping to dig up some other choices.

Some basics for non-motor heads.
Your house has 1 phase current. Many/most(?) commercial use motors use 3phase power as it works more efficiently with the motor.

You can control a motor speed via DC controller which varies voltage to speed things up or down....or you can control a motor with frequency (your household current is 120cycle). Change the frequency and you change the speed. Frequency motors are generally quite a bit cheaper than DC wound motors.

A VFD Drive is an electronic gadget that does several things depending on your needs. It will:convert house hold 1phase into 3 phase. It will regulate frequency to control a motor. It does other things too but that is all we generally care about.

A VFD motor changes speed by having the input frequency change. A huge advantage a VFD setup has over a DC setup is you get nearly full torque through out most of the speed range. A DC motor loses torque as you slow it down.

A DC motor setup is generally cheaper since it generally doesn't need an external controller and even it does, they are fairly simple compared to a VFD Drive. There are also different types of DC motors. Some have high quality permanent magnets (usually more expensive) and some convert the input AC into DC internally which causes up to 30% loss in power due to heat.

Bottom line, DC motor setups are cheaper. If you can afford a VFD setup, it is the way to go.

Tracy,
Theres a couple real good suppliers off Broadway in North Minneapolis. I bought a new motor from them for my 1 x 42 for a really good price. They got used motors too, and pulleys, belts, controllers, etc. No website cuz they're old school, but might be worth a phone call. It was one of these two. -Larry

Electric Machinery Company Inc Not Rated
Minneapolis, MN 55413
(612) 378-8906
(612) 378-8105 Alt

Ac DC Penn Electric Motor Not Rated
2515 W Broadway Avenue,
Minneapolis, MN 55411
(612) 588-5333
(612) 588-9687 Fax

Another thumbs up for Solid State. The 120V 1 HP versions are great for disc grinders and horizontals.

the KBAC-27D from solidstate and the 1.5hpAC 56c from the motor place.

Dave and I are working on a new direct drive grinder design and I needed a 56c motor and thought I might as well get a good variable drive.

I am looking for sources for VFD controllers and 3 phase motors for a some projects Dave and I are working on.

We need a list of suppliers here...

1. Where are some places for a VFD Drive (frequency speed controller) with 230v in and 3phase out? Rated for up 2hp?
2. Must have a NEMA 4 enclosure option.

not sure if you are still looking. these folks have the VFD http://dealerselectric.com/FM50-202-C.asp for $156 and here is a NEMA 4 enclosure big enough to mount them for $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hoffman...498662?hash=item1e9d257d26:g:hWsAAOSwdsFUOYJP.

Tracy, did you forget www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com? The last I checked by the time you figure shipping and other costs that the others add on I had better prices and service. After all I have used the equipment that I sell and advise customers as to simple and quick wiring and set up. I also sell the wiring kit so that you can get everything all in one spot.

Let me know if I can help you.

Last edited:
Back