First folder design what do you think

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
This is the first time I tried drawing a slippie, I am not 100% sure its good or will work. I am looking for some critique!!!:eek:

004-5-1.jpg

Ernie I really hate to be the rarer of bad news but the slipie as you've drawn it won't work.

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion, get a cheap slipjpoint from you local hardware store or the next gun show you can get to and take it apart carefully (it's sometimes hard to disassemble them without destroying them) then pin one liner, the spring and a blade to a board and cycle it through so you can see how everything works together. Then you could even trace those parts and make your 1st one using that pattern. After I'd been making knives 14 years I decided to try slipjoints and I messed with them for a month before I decided I had to get back to what I knew.

Good Luck :)

May I ask what about it wont work? besides the shape of the spring I know is off a little. The shaded part is the spring!!

If you don't already know him, I'll introduce you to Ken Coats at the Janesville show, he's been making slipies for a long time.

May I ask what about it wont work? besides the shape of the spring I know is off a little. The shaded part is the spring!!

The tang won't hold the blade open or closed and it needs a kick to stop the blade from touching the spring in the closed pos.

If you don't already know him, I'll introduce you to Ken Coats at the Janesville show, he's been making slipies for a long time.

That would be great, The only knife makers I know are all the people I talk to through this website and blade forums.
Thats one of the reasons why I am going to the janesville show, to meet more makers and all of you in person!!

Thats better :)

Yeah it looks like it would work better!!

I cut the blade out of another piece of paper, the pinned it over the blade on the drawing, looks like it would make the spring move much like the one on my Buck pocket knife!! also didnt touch the spring when closed!!

I was talking with Ken Erickson on another site and he graciously invited me to come to his shop and learn to build a slip joint!!!
I am so exited!!

Thanks Les for the help, I took it as constructed criticism, not bad!!

Thanks Les for the help, I took it as constructed criticism, not bad!!

I'm glad you took it that way, that's how I intended it :) Your in great hands with Ken Erickson, tell him I said hello.

your doing the right thing by drawing it out, try drawing the blade on one sheet and the handle on another and overlaying them to see how the action of folding will actually work. Use a thumb tack to place the pivot. This will work out the length of the blade as well as the rise and fall of where your kick will go.

Back