Patent Info Source

PatrickKnives

Is there a good reference for folder patents, I would like to see what available for use and what designs are off limits. I saw an artical about one of the manufactures going after makers using a button lock feature that they feel is covered by their patent, I would like to avoid problems.

Thanks

That is a good question PatricKnives. I have struggled with the same question (you phrased it better) and hope someone can help.

I'm not sure if your looking for a list or a database to search. You can use http://www.freepatentsonline.com/ it's free. Just register to see the detailed PDF info for the patents. I use them for some stuff in the day job as well as a few others the company has subscriptions to. You could also try http://www.google.com/patents I haven't tried them yet though. You would be amazed how many folder patents are out there.

Scott

Have you tried www.uspto.gov? Its database has EVERY patent. Kinda confusing to navigate, but once you get used to it, it's not bad. Spent a lot of time last year researching for 2 possible patents. Lot of legalese but most have drawings and descriptions that make it easier. Hope this helps.

I have tried uspto and freepatentsonline but not google, will give them a try. But the problems is there are thousands of hits for any topic. Alot deal with blades and knives of cutting machines and other stuff and alot are related. I have to go through each one and see if its related to making folders.

I plan to search gerber and spiderco because I know they hold alot of these patents but still will need some way to get through the rest of the stuff. Any suggestions of other factory knives that may have patents out there?

Thanks for your input,

Just tried the google search and it makes searching alot easier but still time consuming. thanks

Last edited:
Thats what I have heard, I still would like to avoid any designs that are patented unless I get a license. Its hard when the patents are granted on very small things and the attorneys want to interprete them to cover more that the really do. It seems odd that you can get a patent when you have to site 20-30 other patents that proceeded your so called innovation.

Back