Etch Info Needed

medit8

I use an Etch-O-Matic for my logo's and am almost out of the etchant they supply. Would the Radio Shack stuff work with the etcho-matic. I still have a few bottles of that (which I think is now discontinued). Also, after etching the logo on, there is another liquid I got from etch-o-matic that I think is meant to ensure the etch staying on. But when I am done, often there is a film left on the area that I try to get off with acetone. This doesn't always remove it that well, and I end up grinding the logo off and starting all over again until I get a clearer imprint. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Etrchant from Radio Shack is far to strong for your Etch o Matic. I have bought what I use from TRu Grit, but I have read that a good etch can be just some salt water.
The "cloud" you are getting is because you are using too much etching solution and it is runnig all aroud your stencil, The current then cause that area to etch as well. Frank

Thanks Frank! Much appreciated. Now that I know, it's such an obvious thing. My 6 year old grand daughter does some of my logo etching and hers always come out better than mine. I do pour on a lot of the etch liquid. No more of doing that! And I will try the salt water as well as Tru Grit.
Thanks again,
Bob

Thanks Frank! Much appreciated. Now that I know, it's such an obvious thing. My 6 year old grand daughter does some of my logo etching and hers always come out better than mine. I do pour on a lot of the etch liquid. No more of doing that! And I will try the salt water as well as Tru Grit.
Thanks again,
Bob

Medit
You can use salt water. When I am out that is what I am going to use. dont get too wrapped up in ratio of salt and water. You just need enough salt to make it more conductive. OK your 6 years old etch is coming out better because she has a lighter touch. She is not pushing the liquid under the stencil. Dab your pad on paper towel till it is almost dry. That will help with less Halo effect.
OK you have two setting. The etch setting (DC) in for pulling out metal because it is DC current, The Mark (AC) setting is for pushing the black back in to etch.
There is a few basics.

Back