One for my Wife

R Appleby

KNIFE MAKER
This is my first completed knife of the year, The handle is resin bonded duck cloth, Orange, yellow, green and Blue. The blade is saw steel with temper line.
I took the inspiration for the handle from my wifes birds.

Hope you like it, thanks for looking

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 87
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 69
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 38
Now that is just a cool looking blade. Fun to look at. Them handles are out there but awesome looking.

Nice gift for the wife, thanks for sharing.

Chris

Thanks all for the kind comments, So far yes, she loves it.

I bought 1 yard of each color duck cloth, orange, yellow, blue and green. I cut each one into 9 inch wide 30 inch long strips. I layered two of each color on top of each other. I repeated this in two separate stacks. I used the polyester resin for fiberglass body work by BONDO, if you're going to try this buy a gallon can cause you're going to use most of it. I mixed a large amount of it according to the directions on the can. The first layer I coated both sides of the cloth with a paint brush. I added another layer of cloth and painted only the top heavily and repeated until the stack was all coated and repeated on the second stack. I used a razor knife and made slashes through all the layers of the first and second stack separately about 1 inch wide running length wise 1 inch short of each end. I applied more resin to the first stack and placed the second stack on top of the first and applied more resin on top of that. Finally after all that I twisted the stack tightly and sandwiched them between fresh wax paper and two planks. Using my vise and some C claps compressed the bundle until it was about an inch thick. I checked it about 12 hours later and the bundle was cured and ready for sawing.

Place wax paper on the floor beneath your work area because the resin is going to run everywhere. While shopping for supplies buy your own wax paper you going to need a lot

Very nice indeed! What a color palate!

Is the finish on the handle just the polished resin, or did you seal it in some way?

God Bless
Mike

That is fantastic!!!!! Love the brite colors and the blade looks great too. Going to have to try this this summer.

This is my first completed knife of the year, The handle is resin bonded duck cloth, Orange, yellow, green and Blue. The blade is saw steel with temper line.
I took the inspiration for the handle from my wifes birds.

Hope you like it, thanks for looking

R Appleby, That is one beautiful knife. What are the handle/blade lengths on that?2thumbs

Marauder:D

That is fantastic!!!!! Love the brite colors and the blade looks great too. Going to have to try this this summer.

I was actually glad for this project that it is winter time because the cooler temps give you more working time before the resin begins to set up

A couple of pics for the sheath. Sheath is a 2 window inlay. I used denum, thought it would go well with the handle material.

Attachments

• bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • bird5.jpg
    bird5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
Back