Horizontal/Vertical Disc Grinder

silver_pilate

I picked up a 3/4 HP 3 phase motor from Grizzly the other day to use for my disc grinder. I wired a switch for my VFD output so that the same VFD and remote mounted controls control both my KMG and my disc grinder. The grinder is fully variable speed and reversible.

I will probably pick up a 54-C face motor in the future to use with the Beaumont vertical mounting plate I have, but until then, I set this grinder up to be used in both the horizontal and vertical position. I prever flattening on a horizontal surface (vertical motor mount with horizontal disc), and I prefer grinding blades on a vertical surface (horizontal motor mount). The way I mounted this motor, I can have my cake and eat it too!

I stacked and screwed a couple of pieces of 2x12" together to get to a comfrotable horizontal height, and then I drilled holes for pins that go through the work table. This holds the grinder securely when used in a horizontal mount:

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

And yes, that's a flat Beaumont disc on the motor with a beveled disc with neoprene/plexi covering sittin behind the motor :D.

Since the back of the motor is flat, I cut the boards so that they were even with the back of the motor housing. This way, I can knock out the pins quickly and set the motor on it's back securely for a vertical motor mount and horizontal grinding surface:

IMG_0734.jpg

If necessary, I'll fashing a piece of angle to clamp to the base to prevent movement in this position.

O happy days! :)

--nathan

Looks good.
If you had a wider bench surface to mount to....you could just put a piano hinge on your blocks.
Flip up, flip down.

Rudy

That's a great idea. I like seeing people using their head for more than a hat rack. Seeing your set up gave me some ideas.

Larry

I've been brainstorming (while looking for a very cheap motor) to make a disc sander, and I was also planning on making it vertical/horizontal by rotating. My question now is: Is the vertical height too high, or is it pretty good? I had been thinking a little lower (than the horizontal height flipped) would be better for the vertical, but I haven't used one at all, so I do not know what would be comfortable.

Nathan,

Just wanted to say thanks. I basically copied your KMG set-up with 3-phase variable after reading you and Patrice's post about it.

Man am I happy I did ! I set up a disk in the same fashion without the verticle capabilities but I love the versatility of VSR grinders, and on the cheap no less !

Now your building the style of forge I wanna build ! With a WIP !!!. I'm sure you'll be 6 month ahead of me with a Beaumont Horizontal grinder, LOL.

Thanks again for sharing your stuff !

-Josh

Mike, this particular motor is pretty squatty, so it it works out pretty well. I hold my work for grinding (on my KMG and on the horizontal-mounted disc) at about the bottom of my sternum. When I flip the motor into the vertical mount, it only raises the surface by about an inch or two if that (guessing here without looking at it). I'll have to take another pic when I get to the shop this afternoon showing the height difference.

Thanks for the words everyone! Josh, I'm looking forward to seeing your forge setup as well! Pics are a must when you get it done. I'll post the complete WIP here as well when I get it done.

--nathan

Well, I ended up mounting it using some hinges based off of a recommendation, and I am very pleased. I can still drop the pins in to really solidify it in the horizontal position.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Mike, the difference in height is indeed within about an inch or two between horizontal or vertical position. Very comfortable to work on in either position. If I remember from measuring tonight it's 10" to the center of the disc in the horizontal position and 11-12" to the disc when in the vertical position.

--nathan

Looking at that last pic....MAN, I need to clean out that green rocking chair so I can chill between projects! I really need to fashion some sort of hanger for my Breathe Easy instead of dumping it in the chair. I also need a bin for all my misc. towels/rags and gloves :D.

While I was in the shop tonight, I also made a new work table for my hor/vertical bandsaw out of 1/4" plate to replace the stamped POS table it came with.

--nathan

Mike, the difference in height is indeed within about an inch or two between horizontal or vertical position. Very comfortable to work on in either position. If I remember from measuring tonight it's 10" to the center of the disc in the horizontal position and 11-12" to the disc when in the vertical position.

2thumbsthanks!

Back