Tried out my filing jig!

Gliden07

20170627_193130.jpg
20170627_193228.jpg
20170627_193234.jpg

Tried out my file jig on a new profile. Looks pretty good learned a lot and next blade profile will be better! Did this as my first glue up on my first knife was drying! This hobby is hard work but a lot of fun!! Love making a functional tool from nothing.

Stupid question... what are the stripes?

I don't know? I think they are from the file and the angle the jig puts the file in relation to the blade? I would like to know also. You cant feel them either?

Last edited:
I've gotten those stripes plenty of times while filing blades back in the day! Usually it occurred only towards the ricasso, and it has something to do with the blade vibrating slightly as the file is drawn across it, as it is being held down by clamps on the tang. I couldn't always get rid of that weird effect, usually I would change how I had the tang clamped or change what I had the tang clamped onto. The file does not bite as efficiently as it should when this vibration begins to happen. Would drive me bananas when it happened.

If you were using a mill file try switching to a bastard. Or try "draw filing" with the mill file. That look is a harmonic from the pitch of the file. It also means you are very consistent with your filing...lol. Nice blade shape....

Was using a Bastard file. I did end up drawfiling with a mill file. I figured it had to be the blade vibrating, nextime I'm going to take a piece of rubber tape and put it on the opposite side of the blade as a damper. Don't know if it will work but I'm gonna try it!

Back