A new design for me to try

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Having knives to play with is a great way to spend the day and making new designs keeps it fresh and interesting. This is another one I have been asked to make for a guy who has one of my wapiti hunters. He wants a copy of the Stromberg knife. 7 1/4 in blade with scandi grind

Interesting handle that will be another new approach for me.
Stromeng_Samekniv_7.jpg

Last edited:
This where I have got to with the first assembly. It will be heat treated with the next few blades and then the handle shape can be finalised.

DSCN0988.jpg

I used the same 13 degree jig that I made to do the scandi grind for the safari knife. I have used a slightly thicker blade at 1/8 than the Stromerg knife so that may be why it looks a little different

This one is off to its owner in the morning. Not a design I will hurry to do again but it has been interesting with some new techniques to learn.
DSCN0999.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

Gruff, that is super nice. Did you try to chop anything with it? I bet it can blaze a nice trail.

PS that the exact kind of sheath I want to make. Is there a walk through thread for one like that?

I didn't "use" the knife after finishing it Kevin, just packed it off to its owner but I expect it will perform handily with its scandi ground 61 HRC blade as it has a good heft as a chopper.
As far as the sheath goes I will do a short video on how I mark one out later in the day.

Back