LTWright Beginner Class...

WY_Not

... so, anyone else going? Or been to one already?

Signed up, packed, and heading over after work. Should be fun. Will be nice to see where some of the knives I have came from and how they are made. Best of all, I get to build and take one home.
59.gif

https://ltwrightknives.com/knifeclass.html

Found a great write up of the class that has me even more excited.
http://www.woodsmonkey.com/living-on-the-edge

PS - If this is the wrong thread, feel free to move.

Had a blast. Learned a lot. Went through the process from bar of O-1 and two blocks of micarta to finished product.

Crappy cellphone pic of the knife I made.
IMG_20170626_070447718.jpg

Meh. Might not be of much interest to some of the fancy, long time makers around here but it is my first knife. And, I am personally pleased with how it turned out and the experience. I learned a lot, I got to spend time in the shop with guys who make a living making and selling knives. Not seeing much of a downside to it. Might not be the fanciest but it is still mine.

Everyone of the members on this site has taken a different path to making Knife No. 1. Your path went through a class offered near you. You got hands on experience from a knife maker. I cannot see any down side to your choice.

Great job on completing Knife No. 1.

Welcome to the insanity.

DeMo

I think going to a class is about the smartest thing anyone could do. Your knife turned out really nice! The shape brings to mind the Woods Walker, which is one of the handiest knives I've ever owned. I'd say it was a fantastic class for you to have turned out something that nice for your first one.

So who is, LT Wright handcrafted knives?? Is that your company Raymond???

I guess maybe I am asking the wrong question but, I was merely trying to find out more about these classes. Maybe I was asking about that the wrong way. I looked at Raymond's comment and thought from his answer maybe he was involved. If I remember Raymond had recently talked about teaching.

So let me try this another direction. What is the info with these classes and were are they being taught????

C Craft - If you click on this link you can gather the background on the classes. It is not laid out perfectly but I think the classes are held in Wintersville, OH. It gives a little background on each of the teachers/makers. Not a lot of information, just a little bit.

DeMo

https://ltwrightknives.com/knifeclass.html

Thanks DeMo, Now I understand about the classes. If I were closer,............ Florida ain't exactly around the corner from Ohio!! LOL I would imagine that they would have a lot of intrest to those that are closer by!!!

Yep. They are in Wintersville, OH. They hold them a few times a year. Went through the whole process of making a knife via stock removal method. Started with a bar of O1 and two blocks of micarta. Rough cut the knives on the bandsaw, did some shaping on the belt sander, flattened one side of each block, drilled holes for the pins and lanyard tube, used the belt sander to make the primary grind, heat treated the blade, tempered, roughed in the shape of the scales, pinned and glued the scales to the steel, shaped the handle, polished the handle, sharpened the knife. More steps and details involved but that is a very rough list of what got covered. Got to use a lot of different tools/machines. Learned a lot of the techniques that they use daily in production. Got to ask and discuss why and how they did various processes, why they used certain tools, etc. Basically one instructor/employee per student. So no shortage of one on one instruction. And they fed us on Saturday night. LT's wife makes a good spread. :drool:

C Craft, my previous post wasn't aimed at you. Didn't see yours till after I'd posted. Was just a little put off by someone chiming in about not being interested yet still commenting. Wasn't trying to advertise or push the class. Was honestly curious if there might by some slim chance be someone there from here that I could put a face with a name. I enjoy meeting the people that I converse with online in person. Heck, I met my wife 17+ years back in an online game. :3: I've traveled to Wyoming a couple of times to meet and camp with the folks of the FSW project. I've met and camped with ZS folks.

If anyone has questions about my experience in the class, feel free to PM me.

That comment wasn't directed at you Wy_not....you had asked if you were in the right forum. He was telling you that you were but that there apparently was not much interest by lack of response....not that HEwasn't interested.;)

The joys of online communication. With no facial expressions or body language to read then any text that is not explicit is very open to interpretation and also influenced by the reader's mood.

I wanted to take a forging class. There is the Adirondack Folk School about an hour in a half from me. I just don't have the time or cash to do it right now. A class is a GREAT WAY to avoid beginner mistakes and get a fast start in a hobby. Knife looks GREAT congrats on it.

Oh, you'll love forging class. Took the one offered here at our local club Southern Ohio Forge & Anvil (SOFA); 2 nights a week for 10 weeks. LOVED it. Probably shouldn't say this too loud around here but... I actually enjoy forging a little more than simply knifemaking. :oops:

The joys of online communication. With no facial expressions or body language to read then any text that is not explicit is very open to interpretation and also influenced by the reader's mood.
Lol....Correct. I am a diabetic and have learned over the years to be careful with online communication when my blood sugar is high...I get irritated much easier then and take things too personal....especially if the writer was in a hurry or somewhat cryptic....

Back