Micarta finish question

DLBrothers

Been a while gents - howdy again!

I've got a new project in mind and my contributing designer had an idea that I don't know how to deliver on. This is what I am calling my F3 (F cubed) design - stands for Fin, fur and feather. Sorta combo utility, fillet thing going on. Being as how it could be in use with wet hands or even fish slimy hands, my fishing co-designer wanted a Micarta handle but not too slick finished. I'm thinking canvas of course, but how can I get a rough finish on the scales without leaving the handle bolts looking ragged as well? My only thoughts at this point is maybe using a course scotchbrite belt after about 200g primary finish.

Thoughts?

Thanks and "may the edge be with you!"

I just finished up a knife for a client who asked for the very same thing, Micarta with a "grippy" finish. I've seen bead blasted and sand blasted finishes that look nice, but I don't have a sandblaster, so that wasn't an option for me. I found that a 220 grit finish offered a really nice finish while still providing some grip to the scales. Here's a pic of that knife for reference.

DSC_0254.JPG

Back