Atlas Mini Forge

Gliden07

I have been considering getting one of the Atlas Mini Forges. I am only doing stock removal and use the Forge to harden the blades. Eventually I will move into Forging blades but I want to concentrate on getting my knives up to par before adding additional variables. The one brick forge I made worked GREAT but I want to make some larger knives and the brick wont handle it. Plus I want to move to a real burner and use a 20LB propane tank instead of the small ones. These look like a good product and seem to have gotten good reviews? Anyone own our use one of them can help a total novice out??

Thanks

As with most things related to knifemaking, the view of a product is going to depend on one's experience/knowledge. That being said, I have worked with most of the Atlas forges, and based on the fact that I've had many years experience with using and building forges, I would rate the Atlas mini as a soft "OK" as a starter forge. It's obvious to me that the Atlas forges are designed and built in order to keep the cost down, yet maintain a profit margin, which is necessary if one is building forges for sale.

There are a number of things that I would personally do differently, in order to make the forges "optimum" for use, mainly re-positioning the burner holder to reduce/minimize the "hot spot" that seems to be present in all of them. Most who are just starting out with a forge would likely encounter some issues, but over time/experience, would likely learn to deal with the issues. Many beginners find them attractive because of the price, but I think it bears mentioning that the price listed for the Mini Forge is without a burner....so consider that additional cost when making your decision. I would NOT purchase the "Budget" forge, simply because of the corners that were cut to make it a "Budget" model. (burner placement/angle, and liner type),

My final recommendation is to go larger, both in the forge size and the burner size then what you THINK you need. You can always "dial down" a larger forge/burner, but once you reach the max output of a smaller model, there's nothing you can do to increase it's output.

I have been considering getting one of the Atlas Mini Forges. I am only doing stock removal and use the Forge to harden the blades. Eventually I will move into Forging blades but I want to concentrate on getting my knives up to par before adding additional variables. The one brick forge I made worked GREAT but I want to make some larger knives and the brick wont handle it. Plus I want to move to a real burner and use a 20LB propane tank instead of the small ones. These look like a good product and seem to have gotten good reviews? Anyone own our use one of them can help a total novice out??

Thanks

Ed's advice is golden.

I have an Atlas forge, and pretty much use it exactly like you outlined. I'm a stock removal guy and I need a forge for the rare times when I need to heat treat carbon steel. In other words, it sits on a shelf 99% of the time, but when I need a forge I have it.

It's handy. It's very small. I got it used for half the price of a new one. Those three criteria make it great for me because I use it about as often as I need a great big set of channel locks. I got one of those too...somewhere.

If I was going to do carbon steel regularly or begin forging regularly, the first thing I'd do is build a bigger forge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed's advice is golden.

I have an Atlas forge, and pretty much use it exactly like you outlined. I'm a stock removal guy and I need a forge for the rare times when I need to heat treat carbon steel. In other words, it sits on a shelf 99% of the time, but when I need a forge I have it.

It's handy. It's very small. I got it used for half the price of a new one. Those three criteria make it great for me because I use it about as often as I need a great big set of channel locks. I got one of those too...somewhere.

If I was going to do carbon steel regularly or begin forging regularly, the first thing I'd do is build a bigger forge.

Wanna sell it for half of what you paid for it?? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think I will mess around with my own design till I can afford a real forge! I live near a place that sells the light weight refractory bricks so I think I may play a little with them. Without the shipping and packaging there reasonable. Thanks for your help gents its much appreciated!

For a quickie forge, fire bricks and a torch work fine. In the long run it's more expensive, but if you're talking a knife here and a knife there then the cost difference balances out.

check out Gough Customs on Youtube. He has great videos showing how it can be done with just a couple of bricks and a torch.

For a quickie forge, fire bricks and a torch work fine. In the long run it's more expensive, but if you're talking a knife here and a knife there then the cost difference balances out.

check out Gough Customs on Youtube. He has great videos showing how it can be done with just a couple of bricks and a torch.

Yes!! I love Arron Goughs channel!! Already subscribed and built one of the filing jigs!

I'm a new knife maker (14 knives completed) but I've been using an Atlas forge and Aldo's 1084 steel. It's worked out great so far. This is the only forge I've used so I don't have anything to compare it to but I'm very pleased with it.

Back