Maker's Mark

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Hello all, I just got this back today. I thought it was crooked at first, but I think my lines are so bad that it may be playing tricks on my eye. What y'all think?
93e29e2ea4274247aa690c4521b54f07.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it does look a bit large on that knife. I mark my own and bought stencils in various sizes to make sure it looks right on each different knife I make. Something to consider if you decide to etch your own marks in the future.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

If a maker insists on putting his mark on a perfectly good knife, at least have it large enough to read.

I like that makers mark. It's a tad big but you'll soon discover that the tiny things we agonize over go largely unnoticed by the customer. Oddly enough, my customers love the makers mark because it signifies a custom knife.

This one looks just fine. Go check out the early Bob Loveless knives that were marked with an electric engraving pen marker. It looks horrendous and yet those are the most collectible ones.

If a maker insists on putting his mark on a perfectly good knife, at least have it large enough to read.

I'm just tickled pink bec someone thinks I made a perfectly good knife.... yes!!! Thanks jammer.

I like that makers mark. It's a tad big but you'll soon discover that the tiny things we agonize over go largely unnoticed by the customer. Oddly enough, my customers love the makers mark because it signifies a custom knife.

This one looks just fine. Go check out the early Bob Loveless knives that were marked with an electric engraving pen marker. It looks horrendous and yet those are the most collectible ones.

Thanks, John! I'm definitely going to cut the size down on the next one. I struggled with size and position a lot lol. Like you said, that's what makes us who we are. I'm not very satisfied with it for a few reasons. The main one is that I didn't make the mark myself... so I kinda had to take a chance. I'm really just trying not to spend $200 on a personalizer right now lol. Plus it's probably another skill to learn, right?

I do all my etching with a car battery charger, and some salt water. I bought my stencils from TUS. The first 5 are $35 and $15 for every 5 after that. Go to YouTube and watch White bone knives video on etching. That's how I do it.

With that said.... An etcher is on my short list if tools.

nah. marking is pretty straightforward.

this looks great.

I do all my etching with a car battery charger, and some salt water. I bought my stencils from TUS. The first 5 are $35 and $15 for every 5 after that. Go to YouTube and watch White bone knives video on etching. That's how I do it.

With that said.... An etcher is on my short list if tools.

Thanks guys ... I will check this out now.

I actually meant my comments to be approval of both the knife and the mark; the knife because it's a simple, honest working blade and the mark because it's big enough to actually read and contains enough information in a language I speak and read (as opposed to some obscure code or a font that's so small you need an 11 year old child to read it for you) that I could come find you for another knife. A lot of makers have lost a lot of my business by breaking one of those two principles. It's too easy, in this day and age, to simply find another high quality knife from another maker, unless you put your information right in front of me, and make a present of it. And I approve of the fact that you have done exactly that!

I actually meant my comments to be approval of both the knife and the mark; the knife because it's a simple, honest working blade and the mark because it's big enough to actually read and contains enough information in a language I speak and read (as opposed to some obscure code or a font that's so small you need an 11 year old child to read it for you) that I could come find you for another knife. A lot of makers have lost a lot of my business by breaking one of those two principles. It's too easy, in this day and age, to simply find another high quality knife from another maker, unless you put your information right in front of me, and make a present of it. And I approve of the fact that you have done exactly that!

Thanks for the kind words

You dont have to spend 200 on a personalizer you can build an etcher fairly cheap. I got all the parts from my local Radio Shak to build mine, but I imagine you can order it all on line cheaper. If I recal I built it for under $75 and that was buying a sodering iron.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You dont have to spend 200 on a personalizer you can build an etcher fairly cheap. I got all the parts from my local Radio Shak to build mine, but I imagine you can order it all on line cheaper. If I recal I built it for under $75 and that was buying a sodering iron.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

10-4. I'm gonna have to try my hand at doing it myself... again. I did it once before using a small DC charger (24 volts). 'Twas a total catastrophe lol. But I'm going to follow some directions this time.

Etchers are pretty basic. The etchant solution probably makes way more difference than the machine.

It's a little big and I think it's a tad high on the tip end, but overall it looks fine. Keep up the good work!

Back