Think I'm ready to make my 1st knife!

Trinity Knives

Really battling over the best steel to buy and use for my first knife. Have read and heard a lot of different opinions and would like some feedback. I also don't really know how I am going to heat treat my knife because I don't have a forge and no real access to propane torches, so I am interested in your very first heat treat and how you handled it. Have the ability to do everything up to the point and after but just not the actual heating aspect at least to the point to have it come out hard. Also I live in Augusta, GA, anybody know anybody in this area that would be willing to let me observe and ask questions before trying. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. First I'd buy a simple high carbon steel to start with. 1075 or 1084 even 1095. They are the simplest to heat treat. They wont break the bank and can be purchased from Pop's knife supply or any of the knife supply stores online. Heat till just past nonmagnetic then quench in oil. I use canola oil. You can build a charcoal forge from plans on videos on the Internet. It doesn't have to be fancy just functional. There are a lot of good videos on the Internet. That's how I started.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you cant find someone in your area you can always send it out to be heat treated. Darrin Sanders a memeber on here did multiple blades for me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back