Heritage Hunter - my first stacked leather handle

John Wilson

This is my first attempt at a stacked leather handle. Also my first attempt at a two-piece guard with a brass accent spacer.

Blade is 5-1/2 inches of AEB-L at 61HRC.

0ea870863005ced4a4f364e243fc41e2.jpg

ed8c2f50ada0554452c858e1019822a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is excellent! Very meticulously crafted ... that guard must've been a pain... lol. Anyway, awesome execution, fit, and finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
I saw this the other day and meant to comment. For whatever reason, I forgot.

But, I really like your first attempt. Learning new skills in knife making always presents some challenges.

The blade/shape/finish jumps out at you on first glance. Then, when you look for the smaller details, the handle starts to come in to focus.

It all flows together nicely.

Good job!

DeMo

Thank you DeMo. There is plenty about it I'd like to do fix on the next one. This knife is the prime example of why I tend to turn down one-offs when people contact me. There are so many things you do the hard way the first time because you weren't sure how to go about it. The guard and spacers in particular- the process I used to make the guard is backwards. I basically shaped it after the fact. Next time I'll build it as a separate assembly so that I can finish it completely before final assembly. I didn't do that this time because I honestly wasn't sure what the handle shape and dimensions were going to be. I won't stack spacers next time, and I wasn't expecting the spacers to get stain on them that wouldn't come out during hand sanding.

nice John , real nice piece there.......
always good to challenge ourselves on new styles and design, just makes us better, well done, really like the contour of the handle, looks like it would be super comfy in hand....

......The guard and spacers in particular- the process I used to make the guard is backwards. I basically shaped it after the fact.
Backwards? Says who? Lol
That's how I always shape my guards! So I guess backwards is a matter of perspective!
But most all of my knives are stacked handles and I shape the guard as I'm shaping the stack.

Seriously, well done on your knife though. It's beautiful!

haha! I'm sorry. I meant that the way I made the guard, the process I used- was backwards. The guard is two pieces of steel with brass sandwiched in there. I shaped it and finished the sides after the handle was all together on the knife. I should have made it separately and completed it, and THEN installed it on the tang.

Back