Will this Kiln work for heat treatments

Mark Barone

I am still getting my "shop" put together to start my first knife. I do fused glass work and have a kiln that reaches 1700 degrees F. I see so many different temps on videos. Will this get the steel hot enough?

Take this with a grain of salt.

http://htsteel.blogspot.com/p/temp-guide.html?m=1

645dd95bcbe0dff9ff6fce6f8d9b8bf8.png
645dd95bcbe0dff9ff6fce6f8d9b8bf8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, at least I know my kiln will work for certain steels. Looks like I will have to stay away from stainless, which is fine.

yes you should be good on carbon steels like 1084 but stainless usually gets up there in required temp

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It should work fine for all high carbon steels to include 1084, 80crv2, 1095, 52100, 5160, O1, O2, O6, O7, L2, L6, 8670, 15N20, A6, S5. the key is to pre-heat to 1500F, turn temperature down to 1475F, put your blade in and off you go. practice with a cold kiln putting knife and out so you loose the least heat. welcome and enjoy the "Joys" of in home heat treat. Keep notes on type of steel, temperature of furnace, length of soak and such. get some of your first blades tested for hardness till you find 'Your' best recipe.

The kiln should work fine for 10XX steels, but PLEASE don't soak 10XX steel that long! The grain in gona look like a gravel road, and the steel is going to be seriously weakened.

The kiln should work fine for 10XX steels, but PLEASE don't soak 10XX steel that long! The grain in gona look like a gravel road, and the steel is going to be seriously weakened.

I knew you were going to say this, and I'm glad you did. I didn't want to include it in my post as I wasn't 100%, and I figured you were gonna catch it. Lol. Worked out. Really I'm just glad that I got a HT question right... even though I can't prove it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back