Carbide strips

C Craft

Has anyone got a line on where to order carbide strips???????

What I need are some carbide strips for a file guide. Something along these lines 1/16 thick X 5/16 wide X 3" long.

I have been searching for some for a file guide. I thought I had a couple in the shop but have not been able to turn them up!!

Everything I can find is either wider, thicker, or shorter than what I am looking for!!

I remember the last ones I ordered I had a hard time finding them. So if you know a source please let me know!

I'm interested as well. I made a file guide from 1084 that is working well, but I wanted to use carbide inserts and couldn't find the material.

I'm headed to Atlanta for the blade show, I'll see if I can find you a source :)

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I find that wider is better with file guides so I would use the .5" width, maybe even .75". Notice that the 1/8" thickness is CHEAPER than the 1/16 in Teds link.

If you can go thicker than the 1/16 you will be much less prone to cracking. carbide can tolerate all kinds of heat but doesn't like rapid cooling...so if you are dunking your guides along with the blade when using on a belt grinder thicker is better....if you're just filing 1/16 is fine.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tungsten-carbide-strips/=17vrvvn

you'd have to cut these in half. A diamond coated ceramic tile blade will get through them.

I find that wider is better with file guides so I would use the .5" width, maybe even .75". Notice that the 1/8" thickness is CHEAPER than the 1/16 in Teds link.

If you can go thicker than the 1/16 you will be much less prone to cracking. carbide can tolerate all kinds of heat but doesn't like rapid cooling...so if you are dunking your guides along with the blade when using on a belt grinder thicker is better....if you're just filing 1/16 is fine.

Hey thanks for the info guys! You know, I never thought about them cracking with a quick cooling!! I wondered about cutting them figured I would try a diamond blade, now I know it will work!

Last edited:
You could also have someone cut them with a wire EDM machine? At the machine shop I used to work at they would shorten carbide end mills all the time with the wire. May be cheaper than buying your own diamond wheel.

I realize this is a little old but I just got around to it. If you still care, C1 through C4 are basic designations for soft through hard carbide. for our purposes it is not important. They are all harder than the abrasive. There are other specs but you are unlikely to see any of them ever. The other numbers you ask about are manufacturers' designation for the blank.

Well it took a lot of research and reading and talking to those who had some knowledge about carbide but finally got enough understanding of what I wanted and I ordered it. I found out the companies that sell them do not want to mess with the little guy looking to make a couple of file guides. I contacted three of them and not one responded to my request for information. So when I did find out the info they were not on the list to buy from! If you know what I mean. My bussiness may be small but you only get one chance to ignore me!!

I plan on doing a tutorial on making a file guide with carbide guides. It just seems I have more projects than time these days!!! But it is laying on my work bench and glaring at me every day saying, "come on back now when you get the time"! It summer time and this 1 1/2 acres has had more rain and sun than any year on record, and well,the grass is growing very well. To bad its been in the triple digits most days when you factor in the humidty!!!
Seber I appreciate you taking the time to let me know!!

FWIW, I got my carbide from Enco, IIRC (now part of MSC) for a reasonable price a while back. They offer a wide array of sizes.

Cliff, when you do get a chance to make the WIP tutorial, but sure I don't miss it.

Ken H>

Back