First knife

Completed my first!!!! I'm happy with it and I'm also not happy with it, got to figure out those plunge lines and get way better at my finishing. Its 1084 forged in coal fire, quenched and heat treated, Hickory scales, with light walnut stain, brass pins. I made the sheath also, threading the needles was the hardest part of the whole process. LOL Also I made a knife vise half way thought it. Hand sanding while holding it is a @@@@@. Don't worry about being nice, critique the hell out of it please, its the only way to get better! Thanks all

knife 1.jpgknife 1.1.jpgknife vise.jpg

I think you did a great job on your first knife. Plunge lines will get better with practice. A file guide works wonders to make them the same on both sides. On hand sanding, it's up to you but my suggestion would be to use the spine of the knife or the straight line of your blade support as your visual reference when sanding. Typically, hand sanding looks best when the lines are straight or at least following the spine. That's just an opinion, though.

For hand sanding, I have found it very helpful if the blade support has a strip of leather on it. Even though the knife is clamped down really well, it will still flex and wiggle a tiny bit. Having that semi-soft backer under the knife does a great job helping the keep everything in place and your hand sanding lines come out cleaner.

Your handle works looks fantastic. Your sheath work looks really really good, too. The design of the overall knife is excellent.

This is a winner of a first knife! Congratulations!

Thanks John, I will glue a leather backing to my vise plate! As for the file guide I didnt file this I built a 2x72 grinder, and free handed this on it. Any suggestions on that.

Thanks John, I will glue a leather backing to my vise plate! As for the file guide I didnt file this I built a 2x72 grinder, and free handed this on it. Any suggestions on that.
For Johns tip about a file guide, it's actually 2 pieces of metal with carbide inserts in it. You clamp it to your blade and you can use your 2x72 just as you would normally. The carbide won't allow the belt to go past it, so the plunges will be the same on both sides. I have one made by Bruce bump, it's amazing! If you need a picture for reference let me know

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

That file guide is sweet!!! I love the guide pins keeping everything straight. I'll see if I can find one at the blade show this weekend!

Very nice first knife! Listen carefully to all of these folks... they know their stuff. Looks fantastic... I only have one critique of your process. When you put your knives in your knife vise, make sure that the entire blade is well within the borders of your backer. For example in your pic, the knife should be slid back maybe a half inch. The tiny bit of tip hanging off will fit in your hand perfectly... speaking from experience lol. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back