Filing Jig

Gliden07

Filing Jig and the 1 brick forge I'm working on.

Attachments

• 20170529_123952.jpg
    20170529_123952.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170529_123931.jpg
    20170529_123931.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 53
How does the filing jig work. I've seen the ones of angle Iron but not one like this. Thanks

I really tried to write how this would work but a picture is worth a thousand words or in this case a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ

I still need to add hardware, and I want to come up with some kind of roller for the plunge line stop bolt so the plunge doesn't move as I file the blade bevel. Check out the video it is very informative. I had most of the stuff laying around except for the file. So it is gonna cost about $15 complete with the file.

Hope this isn't against the rules? If it is please remove the link.

Last edited:
20170530_192904.jpg20170530_192858.jpg20170530_192858.jpg

Here is my finished filing jig. All I need to do is prepare the File. This consists of rounding off the edge of the file to prevent a square plunge line. I taped the file as is to the rod just to try. It works very good beautiful plunge!! The second pic is a spacer I put on the 1/4 20 screw so the file rolls instead of digging into the screw and changing where the plunge line starts.

lets see those plunge lines! thanks

I will on the next knife. I tried it out on a piece of mild steel angle iron. Next one I will post picks of! Gonna do a hunting knife about 10 inches or so. Similar drop point with at least one finger groove and Red Oak scales with brass pins.

I am a wanna be and have made a jig and I am currently working on a knife. Great idea with the rollers. What about angle? I've read a ton about how the bevel angle, there's a lot of opinions on either side of that topic. Do any of you that use this guide method worry abou angle?

I am a wanna be and have made a jig and I am currently working on a knife. Great idea with the rollers. What about angle? I've read a ton about how the bevel angle, there's a lot of opinions on either side of that topic. Do any of you that use this guide method worry abou angle?

I just started to file my second blade on this jig. It works great! Couple things I have noticed. The roller works GREAT! Problem you have to watch is when you try and do a long stroke on the file near the plunge, the front of the file is tapered the plunge started to move a little. I caught it quick enough and will be able to fix it with the choil. I just followed the video an put the primary bevel in first and then lowering the eyebolt about 10 turns , then draw parallel lines with a Sharpie to use as a visual guide as I file to keep the bevel as even as I can.
20170619_175835.jpg20170619_175841.jpg
These are a couple rough pics of my project.

Last edited:
Looks good so far. Maybe a pillar file will help to get the plunge lines started. A pillar file is parallel along the sides.

Jake

Back